What's new

Bass Traps. Why are they so expensive? (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Why are bass traps so expensive? Considering trying to build my own (help) or paying some one to build me a couple.
Any information would be helpful.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
No idea as to their price structure but you can build your own by getting 1/8 inch masonite sheets at a home store. If you go to www.acousticsfirst.com you can see their 1/2 barrel shaped traps. Bending the masonite around a built wood frame (and stuffed with insulation will produce results dependent on the size of the sheet. THey even provide details in their brochure on the frequencies impacted.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
I'll second the recommendations of the Jon Risch design - simple and effective. I cranked out a pair in under 3 hours, and I like them a lot.
For those going to the VSAC show this weekend, we'll have a pair of these bass traps - along with several of the sound panels - deployed in our demo room. Stop by and check them out. Quite affordable to build.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
------------------

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
So how do you use bass traps? Do they go on the ceiling, wall, floor, corners...? How do you evaluate where to put them? Do they hang? sit on the floor? Anybody got pics of them in use in their hometheaters? Anybody got links to more information about bass traps?
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Andrew_Chan

Agent
I would like to know how those bass trap works too. How effective can it be? I looks like a cotton tube to me, does the bass know its way and go straight to the cotton tube and trap itself inside?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Bill,
Typically you place the bass traps in the corners of the room, to absorb as many room modes as possible. However, it's best to actually measure the bass response at the listening position while moving the bass trap around (they're VERY light; my 5' high units weigh in around 18 pounds each). A good MLS measurement system really helps out here.
I don't know if I'll be able to get pictures taken before VSAC, but I'll take several at the show, and will post them so you can see where we placed the traps and the sound panels.
Andrew,
A bass trap acts like a lossy/broadband Helmholtz resonator; acoustical energy stimulates the air inside the trap, and causes it to vibrate out-of-phase to a certain degree. Thus you get self-cancellation of the input wave.
Additionally, there's the straight mechanical loss through the tube. As the wave passes through the compressed fiberglass, it loses energy, meaning a loss in the total acoustical energy in the room.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks