What's new

Bass Shakers...What are they? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
There have been so many people discuss Bass Shakers, and I have no idea what they're talking about. What in the world are they talking about? Are they talking about the Actual subwoofer? If so, why not call it a Sub instead of a "Bass Shaker"???

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Basically they're little devices that rattle your ass.
wink.gif
They come in different forms but all transform low frequency signals into physical force. Generally they are attached to chairs or risers and are connected to an external amp which is in turn connected to the processor/receiver's sub output. They are distinct from a subwoofer and serve to heighten the impact of theater soundtracks - your couch will literally shake.
Here is an example.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
[Edited last by Jay Mitchosky on August 18, 2001 at 09:30 AM]

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Thank you guys for your help. Now that I know what they are, I really like the concept. Can I have some either though I've already got a subwoofer? How much do they cost? What is everything I'll need to get started?

Ian Wilson

Agent
Prices vary - but the Aura Bass shakers at around 25 dollars a pair certainly deliver the biggest bang for buck. Buttkicker and Clark own the high end of performance and price. You will need a y connector to split a lead off your subwoofer if it doesn't have a passthrough connector. Connect to a source of amplification with level control - then wire the bass shakers up. If you go for the Auras then get a 50hz low pass filter as well to avoid buzzing and inappropriate shakin.
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks