What's new

Bass Shakers....Now What? (1 Viewer)

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Hi guys/gals,

I got my bass shakers today and no instructions or anything so what gives?

Anyways here is what I copied from parts express:
wiring configuration.
Isn't that an oxymoron... Isn't it either in series or parellel?

Here is the audio equipment:
Onkyo 787
onkyo m-282(external). This is to power the rear two channels.
cambridge soundworks BassCube 15(don't know if this is important)
(2)Bass Shaker pro

I need help and here are my questions:

1.The brown cork looking circles do they stay on or take them off?
2. How exactly should I hook up the bass shakers? I think it should be series wiring? 4ohms+4Ohms = 8ohms, right?
3. To what piece of equipmet should I hook the bass shakers up to ? or Is there even a way?

Signed
SO CONFUSED !

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
I have no experience with bass shakers, but I think what they mean is series OR parallel, or a combination of both if you happen to have like 4 of them or something. I think you are right in going with series wiring for a set of 2 of them because you wouldnt want to send a 2 ohm load to your amp. Good luck

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Ed......first, you will need a power source to drive the shakers. Most use a mono amp from Parts Express ( I use the 150w model/ I have 4 Pro shakers.)

Then you proceed to:

1)Mount the shakers to something solid... in your couch or love seat. LEAVE THE CORK ON !!!
2)if you have 2 shakers, wire them parallel for 8 ohm load.
3)If you have 4 shakers, wire each pair in parallel and then those two pair in series for 4 ohm load
4)Run your wire to the power source
5)Feed LFE signal to your power source by splitting the signal from your sub/LFE signal coming from your receiver

YOU"RE DONE as long as you put the bottom back on your couch!!! Personally, I removed the bottom couch fabric (crum catcher) and mounted my shakers on the most solid piece of frame I found.
Some have used an old receiver to power the shakers but a mono amp from parts express is a better option and easy to use. With the lfe signal being fed from your receiver, then you'll only have the volume of the mono amp to mess with.
Good luck.... post if you have more questions........:emoji_thumbsup:

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Donny,

There has got to be a cheaper way to do this aside from buy another amp. I just received the m282 amp on monday and haven't even taken it out of the box. I won it in an auction. The reason I bought this amp is because in the auction add it said it was 2 ohm stable (at least I thought it did) and now when I received it there is no mention of 2 ohms in the book and no mention on onkyo's website either.

My thoughts were seeing as the "rears" are mono I would run them off one side and run the bass shakers off the otherside of the 2 chammel amp.

Now having said that the reason I gave my powered sub info is because it has speaker outs and I am not using them. I am wondering if I could use those with a 80hz watt filter from PE.

Another thought I had was to use the bass shakers off channel B of my reciever and also in this situation use a filter.

Thanks in advanced
Ed

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Ed

I run 8 50 watt bass shakers off a cheap sony 2 channel receiver. I think $129 at best buy. I tried the Onkyo amp m282 but had no means to independently control the bass shaker affect. With a cheapo receiver Iam abel to increase and decrease the amount of shake with having to worry about the main volume being too high or too low.

http://webpages.charter.net/bruinsrm...l%20wiring.jpg

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Scott,

I understand how to run series and parellel, but have never hear of that last one you listed series/parellel.

Now as for the external amp I have one handy but don't want to add another amp to my system. I don't have much room in the a/v in wall rack that I will be building.

I am merely looking for a solution with current equipment before going the route of adding another amp.

Btw ....I don't know why you would want to control a bass tacticle subwoofer? It's just for feel,it's basically an an add on not an alternative for a powered sub. I am planning on using a crossover and just having the bass shaker pick up the real low stuff.

Thanks
Ed

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi Ed

I use a receiver vice an amp so even with the main system at low volumes the receiver can be used to increase the feeling or decreased at higher volumes.

Did I post that link for the inline crossover found at parts express?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Ed.... I doubt if using one of your rear speaker feeds will send the correct signal to your shakers. Regardless what you use, you'll benefit greatly by using the LFE signal run through another amp of some type. For two shakers I would definitely run them at 8 ohm....
Running a feed from a speaker lead such as a B channel will force you to set your receiver to send LFE to that channel and also some sort of filter to keep you from feeling the voices instead of just the explosions....

GOod luck........whatever way you end up doing it, the shakers are one of the best things I've done to my system.........

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Donny

Here is what I wroteQUOTE]The reason I bought this amp is because in the auction add it said it was 2 ohm stable (at least I thought it did) and now when I received it there is no mention of 2 ohms in the book and no mention on onkyo's website either.

My thoughts were seeing as the "rears" are mono I would run them off one side and run the bass shakers off the otherside of the 2 channel amp.
[/quote]

Sorry for not explaining well...
Here is what I should have said. I thought I could send the sixth channel(REAR) out to one side of the m282 amp and then use a splitter to the other side of the m282 amp. Again the reason I thought I could do this is because I thought the amp was 2 ohm stable.

I may try it running one side of the the external amp wired in parrellel for the rears and the other side run in series for the bass shakers. Anyone know if this can be done?

I think I need some more expert advice. I will make a new post to ask the last question, unless it gets answered here.

Thanks again
Ed

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I'm in a similar predicament...I also have a sub with amp (SVS 20-39 pci). Can I run the bass shakers off of the subs amp?

John H

Second Unit
Btw ....I don't know why you would want to control a bass tacticle subwoofer? It's just for feel,it's basically an an add on not an alternative for a powered sub. I am planning on using a crossover and just having the bass shaker pick up the real low stuff.
You want gain control over the tactile transducers amp independent of your subwoofers gain so you can blend the TT's into the system.

I have read Aura users recommend a 50 Hz lowpass.

You are correct that a tactile transducer is no substitute for a subwoofer. But a properly setup and calibrated TT arrangement is an essential part of a HT system in my opinion.

John

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
John,

How much control can you really have.

My goal is to power the bass shakers to their max and just have them kick on at 50hz or below. I actually haven't found a 50hz crossover and I am not about to make one. I heard they are hard until you've done a few.

Thanks
Ed

John H

Second Unit
Depending on your installation you may not need or want to drive your TT's to their maximum. You want them to blend with your subwoofer and not be a distraction.

FMOD Crossover 50Hz lowpass

Stack the pair if you desire a steeper slope.

John

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
John-

Ok now its making sense..LOL

I actually want an even low cross over if I caqn find one.
If not I'll build one.

Thanks
Ed

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
John ,

Your probably right. I still haven't finished hooking up my sytem.

I just finished video cables and DIY plates tonight tommorow front to speaker cables and rear speakers.

Who knows what I'll do but with opening night 7 days away I've got to get on the ball.

Thanks as usually
ED

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks