What's new

Basic question regarding region codes on DVDs. (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
There is a DVD on Ebay I'm looking to bid on but the seller didn't specify what region the DVD was on the item page. So I emailed him asking "can you please tell me what region the DVD is."

This is exactly how he responded: "The box says Region Code: 1/2/3/4/5/6 and Disc Format: DVD - 9. I hope this helps."

My Panasonic DVD player will only play region 1 (US, Canada) DVDs. Will this DVD on Ebay play on my DVD player? Yes or no?

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Although not an absolute rule a lot of DVDs that say that they are DVD-9 on the box are bootlegs. DVD-9 in China is like a seal of approval (they put it on the cover etc) for bootlegs. You should post a link to the auction and someone could tell you if it is a bootleg or not.

--Ian

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, he shouldn't. Links to live eBay auctions are expressly prohibited by the HTF Rules. No exceptions.

M.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Sorry! Forgot about that... just trying to keep someone from getting burned.

--Ian

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
On the item description page it says, "BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC DVD, Duration: Approximately 200 minutes (over 3 hours)"

He responded in another email I sent him by stating, "The packaging does indicate that it is playable in all R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 and R6 players. I hope this helps." I sent him another email asking whether it is PAL/NTSC.

Now what is the story with the "DVD-9?" Does this really mean that it is a bootleg copy? Keep in the mind the disc is 200 minutes + a 36 minute documentary and has 5.1 DolbyDigital.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

Well, a lot of legit R2 and R4 DVDs state whether they are DVD5 (single layer) or DVD9 (dual layer) on their box. All Fox DVDs state this, at least.

Ike

Screenwriter
I found the auction you are talking about, and a review here of the DVD. At the end of the review it says it is available in NTSC and PAL versions. Not a bootleg, probably, but you want to make sure it is NTSC.

A lot of music DVD's are Region 0, but for some reason list the individual regions instead. I know Pavement's Slow Century DVD did that.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
^^So you think this DVD will play on my region 1 DVD player? Also, where on the outside case would it specify either PAL or NTSC, because the Ebay seller said it didn't say on the case.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Where is this DVD from -- if it is North American, then it is NTSC for sure. European DVDs are mostly PAL, Japanese are NTSC, etc. What is the film in question?

Ted

Ike

Screenwriter

I would go out on a limb and say probably. It will certainly play on your computer. Generally a DVD will say whether it is PAL or NTSC on the bottom in the small print, next to the running time, Dolby Digital logos, and the region code symbol. I'd ask the guy, like Ted said, where he got it.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
It's called Deep Purple: Live in Australia. It's a live concert DVD. I asked the Ebay seller where he got the DVD from and this is what how he responded, "I am sorry, that I cannot say. This item is from a lot of items which I have on consignment. The packaging does indicate that it is playable in all R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 and R6 players. I hope this helps."

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The DVD is available for sale at Amazon. It is listed as "All Regions" and as many of the comments are from US reviwers, I'd say it was an NTSC DVD.

Amazon link

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Since this is E-Bay we are talking about here (bootleg nightmare) I should have asked if it said had the DVD-9 on the front cover. What I was thinking of was the holographic badge that goes on a lot of the bootlegs I have seen that permeates e-bay. Here is an article:

Vortex of Piracy

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks