What's new

Bad experience with my first Anchor Bay Purchase "Near Dark" (1 Viewer)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up this disk from BB and when I got it home the Movie disk was severely scractched like it had been a rental for a year or something. So I figured no biggie i just took it back to BB who of course exchanged without any fuss. I get home with my new copy of Near Dark open it up and the special features disk was missing. I know a lot of people talk highly of Anchor Bay but what it is up with these QC problems. Maybe I was just unlucky. I was really worried on both of these returns that BB would say I scratched the first one and that I took the Special Features disk out of the second one. The third copy I got was perfect. Sorry for the mini rant.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah youre right Jeff. I think I will start opening my new DVDs while im still in the parking lot. The thing is though this is the first DVD I've ever bought and had any problems with.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Quality control: What's that? :frowning:
Seriously,
I bought the R2 of Amadeus and the bonus disc was severely scratched. The replacement was okay.
The week after I got the R2 of One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. The film disc had the same type of scratches as the Amadeus disc. I had to replace the damn thing twice until I got a copy where the film disk was okay. The bonus disc wasn't, but I exchanged the scratched bonus disc for my unscratched one from the first set.
Last week I got Buffy Season 5 and 24 Season 1 from the UK. 3 Buffy discs are scratched, as are 2 24 discs.
I probably will get my replacements some time this week, but at this point I doubt the discs I need to replace will all be unscratched. And who knows what Twin Peaks will look like when it turns up. :frowning:
It really makes you wonder.
Chris

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Don't blame anchor bay though. That disc was probably pressed in the same plant that pressed all your warner, sony, fox etc discs.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Well in Anchor Bay's defense, if you contact them, they will more than likely replace your disc with no problem.

About a year ago, they had problems with the first pressing of Dario Argento's Opera disc. What did they do, sent everyone that had the problem not a replacement disc, but another movie as well (Supergirl, but I like that movie anyway).

Just recently, our Halloween 4 disc just stopped. We wrote them, they said send it back and they will replace, no problem. If this was a Paramount disc or a Fox or the like, I am sure they would have answered back 'tough shit, if you want another, go buy it..." Anchor Bay didn't. And that is what Customer Service is all about...(and giveing the public what they want in the line of DVD's as well...other studios should learn from them...)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Do you ever find the store employees not taking you seriously when you are forced to dig for a good copy on a particularly bad run of discs? As if you're some sort of obsessive-compulsive wacko?

I buy DVDs like I buy food at the supermarket. I grab one from the middle of the pile somewhere, because chances are nobody has played with it, dropped it, let their kid throw it across the store, etc. Then I put it up to my ear and gently shake it to ensure the disc isn't loose. Then I examine every square inch of the packaging to make sure it's intact. Finally, I'll buy it, and usually open it in the car to further inspect it.

I still remember getting flack from the lady at the returns counter because the front plastic on a keepcase was stretched and torn. She didn't think that mattered because "it doesn't affect the movie."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks