B&K ST3140 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Petersen, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Right now i have a complete set of Polk LSi series speakers being run by a Onkyo 797. I have been told that my speakers really should be driven by separates. I have a friend that can get me a really good deal on B&K products and was thinking about getting 2 of the 3 channel amps "ST3140" and was wondering if this would be benificial? I would use the 797 for the preamp.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It would make a remarkable difference in sound quality going from 797 to 3140. The most immediate change you will notice is the bass will be much more defined and punchy. The mid range bloom and upper end air will require some getting used to. The best way to tell if an amp is making your system sound better is to hook up the amp and listen to your fav music for several days (not continuously[​IMG]) until you get very used to the sound of it. Then one day switch from the amp back to your receiver. You will immediately notice the flatter soundstage and the looser definition. Your music will suddenly sound vieled to you. Try it and see what you hear.

3. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. How will it sound for DVD movies as well?

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It will sound better in both music and HT.