Awesome score at Goodwill!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Harold Wazzu, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

First off, I didn't know how good I did til I looked on ebay. I scored a Dish 811 HDTV receiver for $8.50!!!

I didn't even realize it had a OTA receiver built-in, damn what a score!!! If you can't tell I am really excited [​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Who drops an HD receiver off at Goodwill? Hmm.. I'll have to swing by my area GW to check it out. Maybe they've got some plasma TV's laying around.

I remember buying an old Commodore 64 there years ago. [​IMG]

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

GW / SA used to be the best kept secret. Now, at my local GW, there's a bunch of meth heads who loiter around the back-room doors, pouncing on the poor sumbitch who wheels out the cart. Audio gets yanked first.

GW Scores -

ADS 400, Mint
    Yamaha NS5
    Mirage SM*
    Better Sony CDP
    A few more....

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

MacIntosh 2 Channel Amp in working order for $75 was fine but yours was great too!

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I get all of my exercise equipment at the Salvation Army. Sometimes it takes a few months before something I want passes through the place but I've never paid more than $15 for anything there. They have some great computer deals too but I'm already up to my eyelids in computer parts. Finding an HDTV receiver would be a dream come true -- good score!

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Had two great finds several years ago at the AmVets Thrift Store (are they national?).

On the first visit, some parent had brought in their child's entire Transformers collection. Bought the lot for $12. Resold them on ebay for over $500, and that doesn't include the ones I kept for myself!

Then a few months later, now knowing to check the toy bins, found a still-sealed-on-the-card Snake Eyes GI Joe Figure from 1985. Paid $1.60, brought in $75 at auction. Still sealed!!!!

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

There's something very wrong, and kinda cool about that.

8. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

HDTV receiver? Holy crap, I've never seen anything remotely decent at Goodwill and here you guys are finding mint condition action figures and electronics equipment.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It helps greatly if you can go during the day on weekdays, and hit at least one store per week. When I worked at nights I had tons of free time during the day, so I'd usually go to at least one area of town each week and hit every thrift store in that area. I go more for "junk" though, like CED videodiscs and 8-track tapes. I bought a lot of old video game systems and cartridges when they were pretty cheap too, now they're becoming less common in these places and going for more collector prices.
    Since I have to work a regular schedule on weekdays now, I don't have the time to go thrifting nearly as much as I used to. Ebay has sort of filled the void as my source for junk, though of course I'm paying a lot more for it.