What's new

Awesome score at Goodwill!!! (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
First off, I didn't know how good I did til I looked on ebay. I scored a Dish 811 HDTV receiver for $8.50!!!

I didn't even realize it had a OTA receiver built-in, damn what a score!!! If you can't tell I am really excited :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Who drops an HD receiver off at Goodwill? Hmm.. I'll have to swing by my area GW to check it out. Maybe they've got some plasma TV's laying around.

I remember buying an old Commodore 64 there years ago. :D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
GW / SA used to be the best kept secret. Now, at my local GW, there's a bunch of meth heads who loiter around the back-room doors, pouncing on the poor sumbitch who wheels out the cart. Audio gets yanked first.

GW Scores -

ADS 400, Mint
Yamaha NS5
Mirage SM*
Better Sony CDP
A few more....

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
MacIntosh 2 Channel Amp in working order for $75 was fine but yours was great too!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I get all of my exercise equipment at the Salvation Army. Sometimes it takes a few months before something I want passes through the place but I've never paid more than $15 for anything there. They have some great computer deals too but I'm already up to my eyelids in computer parts. Finding an HDTV receiver would be a dream come true -- good score!

Todd K

Second Unit
Had two great finds several years ago at the AmVets Thrift Store (are they national?).

On the first visit, some parent had brought in their child's entire Transformers collection. Bought the lot for $12. Resold them on ebay for over $500, and that doesn't include the ones I kept for myself!

Then a few months later, now knowing to check the toy bins, found a still-sealed-on-the-card Snake Eyes GI Joe Figure from 1985. Paid $1.60, brought in $75 at auction. Still sealed!!!!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
HDTV receiver? Holy crap, I've never seen anything remotely decent at Goodwill and here you guys are finding mint condition action figures and electronics equipment.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It helps greatly if you can go during the day on weekdays, and hit at least one store per week. When I worked at nights I had tons of free time during the day, so I'd usually go to at least one area of town each week and hit every thrift store in that area. I go more for "junk" though, like CED videodiscs and 8-track tapes. I bought a lot of old video game systems and cartridges when they were pretty cheap too, now they're becoming less common in these places and going for more collector prices.
Since I have to work a regular schedule on weekdays now, I don't have the time to go thrifting nearly as much as I used to. Ebay has sort of filled the void as my source for junk, though of course I'm paying a lot more for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks