What's new

AVS 2000 by Monster (1 Viewer)

Nick CS

Auditioning
New device.

My question is does any one out there have one?

What did it do for listening and viewing?

Did it live up to what is being hipped?

What equipment (type and model) is it hooked up to.

Seems like a lot of $$$. I need feedback before any plunge.

Thanks

Nick CS

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nick,

I don't have your model, but I had great luck with their earlier HTS-5000 model. It really clears up the background noise.

My best advice other than getting model specific feedback is to find out if Richard Marsh designed it. He is quite good at power line conditioners. He probably designed this one given the success of earlier models.

Lee

HankM

Second Unit
I have read great things about the AVS2000 in Stereophile GTH and Widescreen Review. It makes a huge improvement with amplifiers, the 2000 makes sure your amps are getting 120v of continous power, meaning your amps will be at peak performance. I'm not sure about source components. I almost got one for my system but decided on a PS Audio Power Plant instead.

Nick CS

Auditioning
Thanks for the input.

I can't find the article in Stereophile GHT on the net. Other questions that I have were just emailed directly to Monster. It seems like a lot of $$$ and I feel a little burned on the HTS 3500 purchase. That unit distorted the sound stage on my Denon 5700.

I guess the unit hasn't been out there very long.

Nick

Luis A

Second Unit
Nick,
A quick search for the AVS2000, in this forum, will pull up a semi-review I did back in January. Hope this helps.:)
L

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I use the little brother to this, the HTS-1000, which has less outlets. It does a great job on cleaning up some of the signals. I noticed much better color and a lower noise floor in my system. The 1000 and 2000 do not provide voltage control though, that is, if the incoming voltage drops to 110, you will only get 110.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Just to correct Lee (and maybe others):

- the AVS-2000 is a voltage stabilizer (MSRP $1495.00)

- the HTS2000 is a power center (MSRP $199.95)

As far as I know, there is no other model in the AVS line, but there is an HTS1000, as well as a number of others (I happen to own the HTS2000). The HTS series are surge suppresors/power centers, whereas the AVS will output a constant 120 volts (assuming it is fed between 80 and 140 volts).

Stereophile GTH seemed to really like the unit's performance.

Good luck.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Doug,
I didn't claim any "power center" vs. "voltage stabilization", but the HTS 5000 does work to filter out the crap in an average AC line. The following describes the unit...
Designed by world-renowned AC power authority Richard Marsh, Monster’s patented Clean Power ™ Stage 4 filter circuitry prevents AC power line noise from damaging component performance. The two dedicated digital filters reject component-generated broadband noise, maximizing the performance of all connected equipment. Digital and analog TV’s will deliver a razor sharp picture with the most vivid color detail and contrast possible. Audio will leap from your speakers with 3-D realism, delivering amazing clarity, pinpoint imaging and precise soundstage. HTS 5000’s ultra- high current PowerLine ™ AC power cord features proprietary windings with heavy gauge copper strandings and a high density shield for maximum power delivery. Monster recognizes that convenience is vital, also. Instead of scrolling through a laundry list of menu options to program your outlets, HTS5000 features 12 individual slide switches, allowing users to easily program unswitched, switched, switched with delay, and remote operation. HTS5000’s phone line anti-collision feature ensures that multiple pay-per-view devices can share a phone line.
Monster also recognizes that convenience can be as vital as performance. Atop the HTS5000 are 5 individual slide switches, each assigned to two outlets, that allow users to change between switched, switched(timed) and unswitched settings for maximum hookup versatility. If you want to quickly plug in a low current device like a camcorder, the HTS5000 features two unswitched convenience outlets on the front panel. An electro-luminescent panel behind the high sensitivity voltage meter lets you read the meter even in a dimmed room.
The AVS series is an evolution of the HTS line.
Gone Are the Days of Consistent Power.
It's no secret that the power conditions in this country are getting worse. What you might not know is that these under or over-voltage can cause severe power degradation in components and cause considerable damage. A surge suppressor will only protect you against severe current surges, but does nothing to correct the problem, so you need the Monster Automatic Voltage Stabilizer.
Audio components and televisions were designed to operate at 120 volts and under-voltage can cause degradation in sound, severely limit power output, and shorten the life of components and picture tubes in televisions. That's why the Monsters at Monster Power invented the AVS 2000, the first product of its type available to consumers.
Monster's AVS 2000 is designed to stabilize power line fluctuations and maintain constant voltage to your home theatre for maximum performance all the time. AVS 2000 provides consistent 120V output when AC input fluctuates anywhere from 80-140V. As a result, amplifiers will maintain the stability needed to deliver peak power and performance. Video systems, in turn, will deliver the sharpest, brightest picture with the most vivid color possible.
It truly is a Monster of a product.
Product Features:
Motor-controlled variable voltage transformer maintains consistent 120V output from input voltages between 80-140V, for maximum home theatre performance
Sequential power up with programmable delay protects speakers from "pops" during power up
Safety Overload Disconnect safely disconnects your equipment when current draw exceeds safety limits of your home wiring (under 80 volts or above 140 volts)
Three illuminated digital meters allow simultaneous monitoring of voltage, amperage and correction
PowerSmart warning light indicates any serious power fluctuation
4 switched outlets provides power for Monster PowerCenters and other components
2 unswitched outlets provide power for high current amplifiers
Color-coded, labeled outlets for maximum hookup convenience, so you don't accidentally unplug the wrong component
8ft Monster PowerLine 400 with 24k gold contact grounded plug for maximum power transfer
AVS2000 retails for $1499.
Both were designed by Richard Marsh which is a good thing. My best guess is that Monster saw the success of the PS Audio Powerplants and wanted to get in on the action.
Maybe the PS Audio is worthy of an audition too. I will say this: A Stereophile Guide to Home Theater recommendation carries some weight with me! :)
Lee

AjayM

Screenwriter
I think Doug was talking about this part of the post from a different Lee,

The 1000 and 2000 do not provide voltage control though, that is, if the incoming voltage drops to 110, you will only get 110.
None of the HTS stuff does voltage control.

And I agree, this is something I'm going to look at a bit more carefully very soon. It's a cheaper than the PS Audio stuff (at least the ones that can handle amps and such), it was designed by somebody who does actually know something about the field (Even if Monster puts 2000 words of marketing mumbo-jumbo in it's description). And the benefits of it could lead to a fairly nice addition to my system, providing it works as advertised.

Of course this one may be hard to get past the fiance, I can hear it now...."You want to pay $1400 for a power strip?!"...

Andrew

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ajay,
You are right about voltage control, but I believe a PS300 is around $1200, $300 cheaper than the AVS2000.
The best solution is to audition and guage the system specific effects in your own home. A good high end dealer will let you do this, although he may not sell Monster! :D
Lee

AjayM

Screenwriter
The best solution is to audition and guage the system specific effects in your own home. A good high end dealer will let you do this, although he may not sell Monster!
You'd be suprised, more than a few high end dealers around here sell some Monster stuff, the power stuff and the M-series cables usually, sometimes the higher end Z-stuff. Of course we have the benefit of a store called Sound Advice, typically a store where you can't get service, they list all prices on stereo stuff at MSRP, but they are pretty much a high-end chain store, and if you find a good sales guy you are all set.

Andrew

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Andrew,

How much amp do you have?

300 watts is a lot (and it has four plugs). And current may also be important. Many amps rated in watts do not live up to their billing.

I also suspect if you have enough juice for the preamp and amp, you have solved 95% of the problem.

I agree it is an expensive box, but PS Audio makes great gear - very solid, much higher build quality than Monster.

But hey, I like Monster - I have really enjoyed my HTS-5000. I would just go for PS audio at the AVS 2000 price point. You also get nice features like the Multiwave capability....

Lee

AjayM

Screenwriter
How much amp do you have?

300 watts is a lot (and it has four plugs). And current may also be important. Many amps rated in watts do not live up to their billing.

I also suspect if you have enough juice for the preamp and amp, you have solved 95% of the problem.

I agree it is an expensive box, but PS Audio makes great gear - very solid, much higher build quality than Monster.

But hey, I like Monster - I have really enjoyed my HTS-5000. I would just go for PS audio at the AVS 2000 price point. You also get nice features like the Multiwave capability....
Oh there's no doubt about the difference in quality between the PS Audio stuff and Monster stuff, and like yourself I am one of the few audiophiles who will admit to liking Monster stuff (Well at least a good portion of it, some of it's overpriced though).

Anyways, my main amp is capable of doing 400w/ch @ 2Ohms, at 4Ohms it's pushing out around 350w/ch. Of course I can't find the manual at the moment, so who knows what the max draw is on the thing. My surround/center amp (everything may get shuffled soon) is rated at 1220watts max current draw, what I would really use on a day to day basis, well that's another story. But when you add in the big screen TV, the pre-pro, the sub amp (just a plate amp, but a class A/B not a D), the DVD player, the cable tuner/decoder, the BFD I'm going to be over the 300W range in everyday use I would bet. And I'm certainly going to be in trouble if I ever bite the bullet and go for some true class-A amps (I keep passing by the Pass Labs site, and some of their DIY stuff...will get me in trouble, not to mention heating the house, have to rid 1200watts of heat from a lil ol' 50w amp).

I almost pulled the trigger on a PS Audio 300 unit, I found one for sale locally used, it was a first generation unit and it was dirt cheap (like $200-300), I figured with the upgrades I could get it close to current model specs for not much more, but I decided to buy a pre/pro instead.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks