What's new

AVR8000, Rotel 1055, or Pioneer 45tx (1 Viewer)

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
In my search for a cheap prepro, I am debating just being done with things and buying one of these units (they all run about $2k cdn, with the HK used but mint).

My take is:
o leaning towards the HK as it has Logic 7 and assignable amps. I already have an Anthem MCA5 and may either sell the Anthem or use the channels for some DIY subs. I was going to just wait for a Lex DC-1 when the HK came up for sale.
o Rotel 1055. Software upgrades and Rotel seems to be pretty active here. Could make things interesting long term.
o Pioneer 45tx. I do not see anything to really distinguish this receiver over the other two. A local Rotel dealer says it stomps over the 1055 though.

I also like the HK as it has already depreciated and when it comes time to sell it, it should be easier to sell a loaded flagship receiver than anything else. This is for HT only using a modest Axiom 7.1 setup. Thanks!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i currently have both the Rotel and Pioneer in my room for a comparison test right now. i should have my full review out by next week, but let me tell you that the 45TX is a damn fine machine. this thing has impressed me in ALL areas and has held its own (and soared above in some aspects) with the Rotel. i'll post more when i get more time to compare the two.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Have not heard the others so Thomas Berg's comments are to be very useful once he has a chance to evaluate them both. I will say that I have heard the new Elites'. Very impressed as well. I will say that my next upgrade will be the 45tx (maybe the 47tx if I can squeeze it). I heard them both & all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Best piece of equipment for the $$$ hands down. $900 online for the 45tx & $1700 for the 47tx. Pioneer did their HW this semester. An Axiom 7.1 setup run off this receiver will sing. I don't think you will be disappointed. Now I can't wait to get the 45tx :D

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Mark,

it's a tuffy i know....The H/K sounds good but you lose out on DD EX while you gain Logic 7. Depends on what you want i guess.

I'd go with the 43tx or the 45tx though and buy a good 2 channel preamp with passthrough.

I still recommend you at least try the Kenwood 6070 as a prepro with your Anthem amp, i'm telling you you will be very pleased for ht. I know everyone thinks i'm full of sh*t for recommending the KENWOOD:b and i would not have believed it either until i heard this receiver myself. You get THX processing to boot....

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Serge... the HK does THX surround EX which I *believe* is the same thing. I also find Logic 7 very enticing, even in the limited form of the HK. Even the mp3 decoding has some appeal given I drive everything from an HTPC.

Any reason why you would take the 43tx over the HK? I do not see much in its favour. I also have a good two channel system that is entirely distinct, even though my pre does have a passthru (I hate running the tubes just for passthru).

As for the Kenwood, I think my concerns are twofold:
o does it have enough gain to drive the Anthem with its 1.5V sensitivity.
o I have waited long enough and want to do this once and do it right. It sounds like the 80hz xover applies everywhere though, and I trust your ears (you have had a lot more gear in house than I have).

Shall I assume you are sticking with the Kenwood?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Even the mp3 decoding has some appeal given I drive everything from an HTPC.
The Rotel also has MP3 decoding but for both models you need an aditional box between the PC and the receiver and the benefits of decoding the MP3 stream at the receiver are reportedly minimal if at all.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Mark,

yes, THX surround EX is the same as DD EX. Looks like the HK has everything but the kitchen sink. Can you demo this piece?

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I can definitely demo as a condition of purchase. I am going to do some more local demos... and see how it goes.

Are you sticking with the Kenwood? I am tempted to do the Future Shop demo ;-)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Mark:

I've studied both the 43, 45, and 47 and the HK 8000. I have the 45 and I love it. But, the fair comparison to the 8000 is the 47. If you get the 8000 you'll need an additional two channel amp. The 47 has the MCACC and 7 band graphic EQ which I believe is superior to the EZ-Set.

But, the HK has L7. It's like being torn between 2 lovers. Good luck on your decision. My decision was made because I couldn't afford the HK and 2 channel amp and get the speakers I want.

So, I took the 45 added my (purchased New) Pioneer SX-1080 made in '79 (125 WPC) as a 2 channel amp. This gives me some extra funds for speakers and like Chris I think the 45 is great - in other words - I don't feel at all shortchanged by this decision.

Again Good Luck!

Mike

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike... I have a few amps lying around so it is more a question of what I would sell off. Have you actually heard the 8000 vs the 45tx/47tx or is this all on paper?

I have heard nothing but good things about MCACC, and I have no doubt it is superior to ezset (I assume I would calibrate the HK manually). I am also dubious about the graphic equalizer... I never use tone controls and I think the Lex tilt control (similar to the tilt on my Quad 34 preamp I still have lying around) would be more to my taste.

Thanks for the feedback... it has been helpful.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Mark,
yes i'm keeping the Kenwood for ht as a prepro, it's that good! No really!:)
Do the Future Shop demo but this will do little good if you are hearing the receiver with mediocre electronics/speakers. You have 30 days to try it out in your own home, use it as a pre in your system then tell me what you think. There is really nothing to lose, only to gain. Save yourself some bucks too since you already have a dedicated 2 channel set-up....
I swear by the 6070. Every system/room is different though so if you can audition whatever you plan on buying, that's the best way to do it and let your ears decide...

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
My version of the Future Shop demo was lugging it home for 30 days. I have a hard time buying computer stuff in that place never mind demoing audio equipment!

I would like you to thank you Serge for blazing the trail... even if I do not go with the Kenwood you have been *really* helpful.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Mark:
I've had an Onkyo 595 for 90 days on trail, then I tried the HK 520 and it was wonderful. The ez-set worked and then I played with the settings. I had the 520 for a 30 day trail and loved it.
The things I didn't like were only 2. The remote was crap and it did not have DD-EX which I considered a must.
The 8000 solves these problems plus gives you the additional wattage. The 520 amp was great. Now I know the 8000 is better.
Now, here's the other side. I've never been a fan of EQ's until now. The MCACC on the 45 Tx is great.
You see I have the dreaded word............bose am-10 speakers with a definitive sub. This Bose package is not known for midrange sound production - its not known for great highs or lows.
Well the 595 was great compared to the Kenwood Prologic I had, and the HK 520 was a definite improvement over the 595. The base was tighter and the sound projection was much much better.
But...........the MCACC made me a believer. I just have a cube center channel and under the 520 or the 595 it still sounded a little like a cheap box once in a while. And I mean a cheap box. Well the 45 TX took this away! I can't believe how good the center sounds. It also compensated for the Bose midrange problem by pumping up the middle freq's on the EQ. I've really never heard those Bose sound that good!
The sound is clear, the high's are concise and the middle is good and that receiver (45 TX) like the 520 makes that base module rock.
Now, I'm in the process of evaluating new FR, FL ,and center channel speakers. And I've been taking around my test disk listening to speakers. I listened to the Paradigm monitor 9's on a Sony 4ES - O.K. not bad but I left saying they aren't any better than my Bose. (O.K. don't kill me folks....). But when I listened to those monitors on a 47 TX WOW!
Now in fairness I haven't heard the 8000 but if you check out AVSForum and here and talk with Daryl L - he owns the 8000 plus the PA2000 amp I believe and he's a great guy who I'm sure will give you some good feedback.
I had a price point problem. Paid $1000 for the 45 TX and the 8000 plus 2 channel amp would have cost at least $1700. I thought I'd put the extra in speakers. With my old Pioneer as a 2 channel amp, I think Its going to be great.
Now if I had the money.............well that 8000 would have been hard to turn down.
Well you might get the 47 for close to $1700, well that 8000 is great, well the 45's not bad either with a good 2 channel amp and you save a little money......well maybe you should checkout what Serge had to say about the 6070...
So many choices:)
Honestly, whether you go with the 8000, the 45 or 47 TX, or wait on the new 525 - I really think you'll will be fine and luv your HT and Music. I think Denon's gonna hit with the 3803 which should be a good machine and Onkyo has the 900 and 800 coming out. Now I'm not a Kenwood fan after my last experience but some others maybe!
Good Luck!
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks