What's new

Pioneer Elite 47TX, HK 7200, Rotel 1055/1070 , or Otlaw 950/7100 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm considering upgrading my Pioneer Elite 43TX. I'm not set on upgrading and I'm not in a hurry. The local higher end mom&pop A/V store I shop at has a couple of deals on some very lightly used floor model stuff (with full warranty, boxes, packaging, and remotes) that I'm considering, and I'm also considering the Outlaw 950/7100 combo. On the lower end of the spectrum I'm considering the HK 7200. Should I consider the HK 7200 an upgrade, or would that be more of a side-step?

I'm currently running Swan's Diva 4.1 mains, 2.1 surrounds, C3 center, EBS AV12 sub, Panasonic L300u front projector, Bravo D1 DVD player, and a Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player. I've considered upgrading my mains to Diva 5.2s or 6.1s and will probably do so in the not-so-distant future, so that could happen before or after the front-end upgrade. My listening is 99% Home Theater / TV in a 12'x14' dorm/apartment living room until this summer when I will be in a 24'x32' dedicated HT/computer room.

The deals available are as follows:

Floor model Rotel 1055 and New 1070 amp: $1425
Floor model Pioneer Elite 47TX: $1500

New Outlaw 950/7100 combo: $1600 + SH

Refurb HK 7200: $750 @ ecost when they get more in stock

Are these very lightly (pretty much indistinguishable from new) floor model prices from an authorized retailer I know with full warranty good prices?

I like my current 43TX and don't feel it is lacking in power, but the opportunity to get something higher end that sounds noticeably better and possibly get me into separates is intriguing. I like the ability to bi-amp my mains w/ my 43TX using the back-surround channels. Will I be able to do this with the 47TX? How 'bout the Rotel combo? The HK 7200?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Stephen,
How about just adding an amp and see if that does the job for now. It would be a start into seperates.

Just a thought.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 7200 and love it, but I would have to agree that the processing of your 43tx would be great into a solid set of amps, but I wonder how much improvement you would actually hear with the same speaks.

Upgrading your front towers will probably make more of a difference than the amps, but mostly on music only, since using them for 99% theater, they still are 2nd fiddle to center and subs.

Dennis

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to wonder whether or not any upgrade is going to make a very noticable difference given my listening habbits... I'm still very happy with my current setup, it just seems like alot of the "wow" factor is gone now. I got a little of that back when I went to front projection, but I'm not able to take full advantage of that until this summer.

Any other suggestions?

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that you have made most of the "Wow" upgrades already and you have a pretty good setup to install in your new room. I think that room treatments and other nice touches will make more difference for your enjoyment.

DG

Users who are viewing this thread