What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Avengers: Season 5 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I thought pal speed up didn't apply to BDs? I have this on order but found it concerning that no reviews could be found. I will wait for my copy to arrive to judge for myself.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If they used PAL masters, then this is an upscale from the UK dvd?? Need more info and reviews before I purchase, unfortunately.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Ethan Riley said:
If they used PAL masters, then this is an upscale from the UK dvd?? Need more info and reviews before I purchase, unfortunately.
It's not necessarily an upscale - it could be from a 1080i/50 master.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
As I posted on 'the other web site' they look and sound great. Sharp, colorful, no visible compression issues. I only have a 40" screen, but it's a huge upgrade from the DVD's. 8 episodes per disc 1 & 2. 9 on disc 3. No extras, no slipcase..chapter stops are only every 10 minutes. I know it has a variable bitrate, but I only judge what I'm seeing and that looks great. I have not heard or seen anything like PAL speedup, although others are saying they do. These look like recent 1080p scans from the negative to me, not upscaled.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I just got this today and while I won't have a chance to sample it right away I thought if I could redeem the UltraViolet code I could get it into Vudu and sample bits of it at my leisure. Unfortunately, Vudu refuses to accept the code. They make you search for the title before you input the code, and this title doesn't come up under Avengers, Season 5, or anything else.

I do love that four bulky DVD boxes are replaced by one standard Blu-Ray box. I can't wait until the other seasons follow suit and a whole shelf in my DVD unit is opened up.

EtA: It doesn't work on Flixster either.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
If there is a problem with the audio then it may be possible they've sourced Studio Canals original faulty video masters .
They are rather inept at SC so when they first released the restored episodes they attempted to adjust the audio pitch to make it sound right. Here in the UK as we have things running at 25fps our pitch is 4% higher than regular NTSC or US content , but instead of adjusting the pitch down by 4% they changed it upward making the first issues of series 5 an amazing 8% too high .
A recall went into action and corrected discs were supplied , however the main menus were not changed and these still include the silly high pitch voices to this day.
It seems to be a standard thing that discs released of The Avengers in any format will have problems and it seems that appears to be continuing.

Having said that , one UK fan who already has the set clarifies the discs are 1080/24p so any pitch errors are on the original source and he's not so sure about that.
To be fair , The Avengers is a UK programme and has been since at 25fps in the UK since 1965 so you could say ( if the pitch is high) that US viewers are finally getting to see the show as it was originally meant to be seen.
I reserve judgement until my set arrive which should be Thursday

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Simple way to tell: check the time of the episodes.

Looking at my last DVD disc of the color season, I get:

The Positive Negative Man at 51:15
Murdersville at 51:15
Mission: Highly Probable at 51:13
The Forget-Me-Knot at 51:28

What are the times on the new Blu-ray set?

Harry

jsteed

Grip
Real Name
John Myers
mikeyhitchfan said:
As I posted on 'the other web site' they look and sound great. Sharp, colorful, no visible compression issues. I only have a 40" screen, but it's a huge upgrade from the DVD's. 8 episodes per disc 1 & 2. 9 on disc 3. No extras, no slipcase..chapter stops are only every 10 minutes. I know it has a variable bitrate, but I only judge what I'm seeing and that looks great. I have not heard or seen anything like PAL speedup, although others are saying they do. These look like recent 1080p scans from the negative to me, not upscaled.
I just got my copy today and completely agree with you. This is a major step up over the old A&E DVD's, these do seem to come from the same source as the Optimum DVD's. The colors really pop, really good detail and I don't notice any PAL speed up. I did notice the runtimes run around 52 minutes per episode on the Bluray and I remember the Optimum DVD runtimes were 49 minutes and if the Bluray really was PAL then wouldn't each episode run around 49 minutes? I'm really satisfied with the Bluray and yes it probably would of looked better if they would of spread the episodes over more discs but I think the Bluray still looks great!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
jsteed said:
I did notice the runtimes run around 52 minutes per episode on the Bluray
Just being careful here, but are you sure of those runtimes? If there's no speed-up, I can live with these, but I refuse to sit through PAL speed-up remnants.

Harry

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Harry-N said:

And while we're at it, does the Blu set have Forget-Me-Knot on it?

jsteed

Grip
Real Name
John Myers
Harry-N said:
Just being careful here, but are you sure of those runtimes? If there's no speed-up, I can live with these, but I refuse to sit through PAL speed-up remnants.Harry
The episode The Winged Avenger runtime is 51:50 on the Bluray while the Optimum DVD on my computer has a runtime of 49:42.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
jsteed said:
The episode The Winged Avenger runtime is 51:50 on the Bluray
That would sort-of jibe with the 51:15 runtimes I've encountered on the DVDs, given that A&E had split out some of the opening color notices onto a separate part of the disc.

Speaking of which, are all of those logos and bumper-type things included? Like on night-of-broadcast on ABC-TV (US)?

Harry

jsteed

Grip
Real Name
John Myers
Harry-N said:
That would sort-of jibe with the 51:15 runtimes I've encountered on the DVDs, given that A&E had split out some of the opening color notices onto a separate part of the disc.Speaking of which, are all of those logos and bumper-type things included? Like on night-of-broadcast on ABC-TV (US)?Harry
I never saw the show when it was originally broadcast. The only bumper that I can tell that it has is The Avengers In Color one at the beginning that lasts a few seconds.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Harry-N said:

Harry
The Positive Negative Man at 51:15 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
Murdersville at 51:15 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
Mission: Highly Probable at 51:13 blu-ray is 51:34 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
The Forget-Me-Knot at 51:28 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
mikeyhitchfan said:
The Positive Negative Man at 51:15 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
Murdersville at 51:15 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
Mission: Highly Probable at 51:13 blu-ray is 51:34 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
The Forget-Me-Knot at 51:28 blu-ray is 51:45 including the 20 second Studio Canal logo at beginning
Thanks for checking. I'm still queasy about audio speed-up and am still left wondering why some are reporting that the voices sound higher-pitched. Is it possible that they're somehow pitched-up? Patrick MacNee is somewhat of a "high-talker" (as Seinfeld would put it) anyway, so speeding him up or pitching him up, even to the slightest degree, just sounds off to me (like in that Spyvibe video, which is a moot point since it's comparing old DVDs and newer UK DVDs).

Harry

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My set arrived today. Watching a few of them. Color is much improved over dvd. The sound is good. Detail is decent to very good maybe some excellent from time to time.I'm pleased with the set this far..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks