What's new

Auto-Power Switch for Samson Amp? (1 Viewer)

John*S

Agent
I'd like my Samson sub amp to switch on and off with my receiver, but I can't plug it into the receiver power outlets because of its power requirements.

Does anyone know of a device that would let me switch power from a separate outlet to the Samson based on the power going to it from the switched outlet on a receiver? I envision a box with an outlet on it the Samson power cord would plug into. This box would then plug into the power outlet on the receiver and into a separate wall outlet. When the switched outlet of the receiver had power, the box would switch on power from the wall outlet to the Samson. When the receiver turned off, it would cut power to the Samson.

Are there any other ways to accomplish this?

Thanks!

John*S

Agent
Thanks for the link to Klipsch, Achim, but I don't see anything there that relates to my question.

Could you please tell me where to look on that site in case I am missing something?

Wow, when I was returned to this subject after writing my reply, you had already answered my question...Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,

The RPC-120 is a switching device. You plug your amp into it, and it will power up automatically when you turn on your system.

However, your pre-amp or receiver has to have a low-voltage output to trigger the RPC-120.

If you don’t have a low voltage output, you can do the same thing with an Adcom ACE-515. It works just like you described as your "wish list" in your first post: The ACE-515 plugs into the wall with a heavy-gauge power cord. Plug the Samson into the Adcom (actually, you can and should plug all your other components into the Adcom as well). A separate, light-duty cord from the Adcom plugs into the receiver’s switched AC outlet, for triggering purposes.

When the receiver is turned on, the Adcom first turns on all the electronics, then 10 seconds later switches on the amplifier. (This also solves the annoying “pop” that BFD owners complain about.)

On power down, it works just the opposite: The amp turns off, then 30 seconds later after the capacitors have discharged, the electronics are turned off . (Once again, no annoying pop.)

In my opinion, the delay feature makes the Adcom much cooler than the Aragon. Best of all, the Adcom can be found regularly on e-bay for half the price of the RPC-120. I’ve been using the one for several years, and have been very happy with it (see "Equipment List" below).

Good Luck,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John*S

Agent
Thanks, Wayne.

You're a wealth of info. I've read many of your posts on EQing -- one of the reasons I just bought a BFD. Cured a major dip at 33-35Hz (for crying out loud!) and a major peak at 55Hz, plus a few lesser ones. Now I'm within a db or two across the board except for a gradual increase from about 28Hz on down. What a difference it made.

I also discovered Monster Power makes several power conditioners that are similar in function to the Adcom unit.

It seems like every time I think I'm done, there is another device I need to buy.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
I use Sears part number 00924031000 to switch my sub amp on and off. You can find it on the sears.com website, or in the stores on a rack with the table saw accessories. Best of all, it only costs $20! :) Plug the receiver into the 'power tool' outlet, and the sub amp into one of the 'accessory' outlets.
I hope this helps! :)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
That's very cool :cool:. I've been leaving the BFD on anyway, so for a cheap fix now, that would work great! I can't find the amp rating of the outlets, though. Does you unit have specs, in particular, how much can be pulled through the accessory outlets? I'm sure it's adequate, but before I mosey to Sears it would be great if you know.

John*S

Agent
Chris,

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for initially and a great price too. Since the BFD doesn't draw much current and the Samson has a delay when it turns on, my original plan was to run the BFD off one of my Receiver's switched outlets and Samson off this device. They'd both turn on and off at the same time but the Samson's built-in delay would give the BFD time to get through it's POP. What happens when you switch things off?

However, now that I have begun exploring this topic -- with zero knowledge initially -- I think I'm going to invest in a power conditioner/surge suppressor/AC control like an Adcom ACE-615 or Monster Power HTS-2600. With the investment already made in my components, this seems like a good insurance policy, with the side benefits of providing better performance and the ON/OFF control I was looking for.

John*S

Agent
I checked out the Sears item. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears it has no automatic function -- you have to manually switch it on and off -- so it really wouldn't meet my requirement of applying power as the Receiver is turned on or off.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
It looked to me as though that was a 'master' power button that turned off the whole works, including the 'parent' component. That would be good for safety. Come to think of it, that's the only thing that makes sense, because otherwise what would be the difference between this and a regular power strip. I think as long as the switch is on, when the master component is turned on, it switches the accessory plugs on too. Perfect.

15 amps will do fine.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
John and Vince,
The 'Master' power button is used to disable the automatic switching. When 'on', the accessories turn on and off with the control outlet. When 'off', the accessories will remain off.
I hope this helps! :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Well curiosity got the better of me and I just returned from Sears with one of these devices ($34.99 cdn) and it does in fact work! Like Chris says all you need to do is plug your receiver/pre amp into the top outlet and turn the switch to "on" and any device plugged into either of the two bottom plugs will turn on when the receiver/pre amp turns on. Also my TA-E9000ES pre amp supports discrete on/off codes ie when I turn it "off" its done via the remote and it essentially goes into stand by mode not a physically power off. The good news is that it still manages to trigger the device to power on and off the amp. I currently am in the middle of packing to move into our new house so I don't have my gear set up to do any serious listening to see if I hear any sonic degradation with it or not but when it switched on or off its a fairly loud click which sounds like its a decent connection (not as loud as an X10 switch though) Anyway for the price its a fantastic buy.

John*S

Agent
Outstanding! Good info on the Standby mode. My Integra DTR-7.1 does that. I may have to check this puppy out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks