Auto-Power Switch for Samson Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*S, Feb 16, 2002.

1. John*S

John*S Agent

I'd like my Samson sub amp to switch on and off with my receiver, but I can't plug it into the receiver power outlets because of its power requirements.

Does anyone know of a device that would let me switch power from a separate outlet to the Samson based on the power going to it from the switched outlet on a receiver? I envision a box with an outlet on it the Samson power cord would plug into. This box would then plug into the power outlet on the receiver and into a separate wall outlet. When the switched outlet of the receiver had power, the box would switch on power from the wall outlet to the Samson. When the receiver turned off, it would cut power to the Samson.

Are there any other ways to accomplish this?

Thanks!

2. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

3. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

If you are a DIYer...

I wired a 12vdc relay in a Furman PL-Plus power conditioner. It has a cord that plugs into my receivers 12vdc trigger. The relay contacts parallel the on/off switch contacts of the Furman.

Recently, I wired in a 20 amp circuit that is controlled by a 12vdc relay. This relay is operated by a 12vdc wall wart that is plugged into my receiver's switched AC outlet. When my receiver turns on, the sub amp in the other room turns on, and so does some other related equipment. Also turns on some lights. It controls anything plugged into the outlets on that circuit.

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

John, the Craftsman switch looks intriguing (though the link doesn't work.) I've been looking for something like this for a while; thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately the "detailed specifications" don't provide details on things like capacity.

I'll probably end up going the "build it yourself with a relay" route, partially because I want the flexibility to run the Samson off a different circuit than the receiver (Denon 3802.) A standard 15 amp circuit doesn't seem like enough to run it all.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Marc,

A single 15A circuit delivers plenty of current for this receiver and amp.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Wayne,
    Tx for the info; where's it come from? My concerns come from rated specs of various components (not to mention Brian Weatherhead's review, in which he notes the S1000 dimmed the lights in the room and recommends a dedicated 20-30 amp run.)
    The Denon 3802 manual claims it can draw up to 7.1 amps. I'd suppose this would only actually happen if you had all 7 amplifier channels driven to their limits.
    The Samson documentation online doesn't give a figure for the S1000, but up to 8 amps seems like a reasonable guess for maximum power use driving a pair of CS+s.
    Add another 1 amp or so for the TV, 1 amp for other components, 3 amps for lighting and you're well past the 15 amp limit. I suppose I could just ignore that, and figure it's unlikely for everything to be on and drawing near-peak load at the same time. ("Yes honey, we do have to have all the lights turned off while we watch the movie.")
    Fortunately, I happen to have an outlet in the same room which is on a different circuit, and the room is situated such that running an extension cord is practical, so I'll probably just do that to power either the amp or receiver. I rent, so re-wiring isn't a possibility.
    I figure I can just get a 120V/10A relay from Radio Shack, a project box, and splice it into a power strip. Maybe add a 10A fuse for safety. Shouldn't be any great trick.

7. Steve Young

Steve Young Stunt Coordinator

Steve Young
    I am also interested in a device that would do this. Maybe there is one that works off of the Audio/Video outputs of your receiver? That Craftsman device looks good, but I can't get it here in Canada.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Steve

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Marc,

A few things to keep in mind: When you set the receiver for small speakers, you give it more headroom, which virtually assures that you will not run it to its maximum output. The “work” is relegated to the sub amp.

While a 1000-watt amp is no slouch, it certainly doesn’t require a dedicated 20 or 30 (gasp!) amp circuit. If Mr. Weatherhead had problems, it’s because his circuit was already taxed with everything else he had on it; indeed, the dimming lights suggest they were on the same circuit as the system – a definite no-no.

If you aren’t having any problems now, there’s no reason to put the amp on a different circuit. Indeed, if that circuit is on a different service leg than the other gear, it could cause a ground loop.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I tried the Craftsmen switch (more details here) and it does in fact work like a charm for powering on and off my Musical Fidelity amp. Sears Canada also sells it as well for $34.99 cdn in their tools dept.

10. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Thanks Wayne, I'll probably try it on the same line and see if it runs into problems. In Mr. Weatherhead's defense, he meant a dedicated run for the whole system, rather than just for the S1000. For all I know he has 7 speakers all bi-amped with 400 watt monoblocks or something.

Unfortunately, a lot of (most?) existing rooms have the lights on the same circuit as the outlets, and no reasonable way to change that. My living room, for example, has floor lamps and table lamps but no wired-in lighting.

Andrew, glad to hear it works; I'll probably give it a try myself.

11. John*S

John*S Agent

As I researched this auto power idea for my Samson, I discovered Adcom, Monster Power, and Panamax gear that surge=protected, applied filters to the power, and could turn your gear on and off in a sequenced fashion.
    I thought it worth the expense to offer some protection to my equipment (which represents a much bigger investment). I settled on a Panamax 5100 and got it for a good price from Power Systems at http://www.discountpanamax.com/index.htm?570. Steve, at Power Systems, was very helpful.
    It works well. With 10 outlets on the back, all my component power cables plug into it. It has a high-current section, an always on section and a switched section. You can program delays for the high-current and switched sections. It connects to my receiver's 12v trigger so when I switch on the receiver the Panamax turns everything else on.
    Everything now turns on and off the way I like, plus I get some decent surge protection and power cleanup. Not bad.

12. Steve Young

Steve Young
    Andrew, I just got back from Sears and I did get one of those Auto Power switches. So I hooked it up plugging my receiver into the top outlet, and then my Samson S700 and Carver AV705X amps into the 2 switched receptacles. As soon as I turned on the receiver both amps come on but go off just as fast[​IMG]
    That device must have some sort of overcurrent device built into it, because it kills the power to both amps. The receiver still has power though?
    I guess the startup current draw is too much for both amps to be on this switch (they dim the lights pretty good when they click on)
    I will have to just switch one of the amps i guess.
    Steve

13. Damon W

Damon W Extra

Has anyone tried using the X-10 appliance module? This would allow you to turn it on via your Pronto.

I've been thinking about taking this route myself...

14. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I am also interested in something that will turn on my Samson amp. I will fallow this thread to see if anybody comes up with something.

15. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Well I found my solution. Stupid me, I have a Monster HTS3500 and that has a remote on switch and I didn't even realize it. All I had to do was plug that in into the reciver and then the HTS would turn the amp on. It had been so long since I hooked it up that I didn't remember this feature. Good luck to everybody else.

16. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

What happens when you plug just a single amp into the craftsmen?

As for the X10 sol'n I'm doing that on my Toshiba TV since it lacks discrete on/off codes. It's working fine for me but some people have questioned how much current the X10 switches allow...

18. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

The X-10 Appliance Module is rated to 500-Watts.

The S1000 has a maximum draw of 725-Watts according to the rear panel.

I highly doubt I will ever be drawing THAT much power.

Drywall will start peeling off the walls if I ever feed the SVS’s a full 500-Watts each.

I’ve pushed the system pretty hard and nothing has ever shut down or gotten too hot.

Shawn S

19. Damon W

Damon W Extra

Yea, the terminology for the appliance module is a bit confusing. They say its rated for 15Amps and 500Watts. NOT the same thing...15Amps is 1800Watts at 120v house current.

The Leviton X-10 wall receptacle states 15A...if it's truly 15A, it should have no problem supporting the S1000.

20. Steve Young

Steve Young
    Andrew, I finally got around to trying it with just 1 amp plugged into it and it does the same thing. I guess there is just too much of an inrush of current to work with it.

Steve