What's new

Austin, TX: Anyone want to split some 20-inch sonotube? I found a good deal. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I found a decent deal on 20-inch sonotube... $69 for a 12-foot section. They're not willing to sell a partial tube, and I don't need anywhere near 12 feet, so I'm hoping to find someone who wants to go in on it with me. Drop me an email if you're interested!! They don't have it in stock right now, but they said it should be in before too long.

I cross-posted this to the Austin DIY thread in "local HTF meets".

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I'd also be willing to give someone half of the tube (6 feet) for free if you let me borrow a tool or two (router/bit/circle jig/jig saw... whatever you have would help since I must buy/rent the rest) for a weekend. I'd promise to take good care of them. It wouldn't be the first time I've used a router or jig saw.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I've got a new jigsaw you can borrow, or bring the tube over and we'll cut it. I don't have current plans for another sonosub, so I don't think I need any tube. If you buy the 12' piece, do you have room to store the leftover piece in case an Austin DIYer wants to build a sonosub in the future. I do know someone who wants me to build a sonosub sometime down the road. BTW, giftwrap wrapped around the tube will give you a nice straight cutting guide.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I have a Dewalt plunge router with a spiral upcute bit and a homeade circle jig (its ugly...but it made my 22"endcaps without incident). Since I am done for right now on my sub project I would loan you these things to aid in your process. Let me know what you think.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Thanks for the offers to help, y'all! I really appreciate it.

Hank: you live close to me, so I'll take you up on your offer when the tube is in stock (a week or two). You get first shot at however much of 9 feet you want for that "down the road" project. If you don't have room to store it, I can probably hold it for you for a while. I'll feel better about borrowing your tool(s) and putting wear on your router bit(s) if I'm able to "give something back".

Whatever is left after that, I'll just give out to whoever needs it. I think Paul Laiming might need some tube.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I live in Austin and I've given some thought to building a sonosub. If there's any extra left over I'd be happy to take it off your hands...
Probably won't get to work on the project for a few months yet so it will just be collecting dust in my garage, but if nobody else claims it I'd be glad to. Afraid I don't have much to loan in the way of tools, but after my wedding next month I'll probably be having a nice shopping spree at the home depot.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, here's an idea: suggest to your fiancee that you have your name listed on a registry at Lowes or Home Depot, like she probably is at a store for dinnerware/silverware etc. If she agrees, I predict marital bliss and a DIY future.:D

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I figure I'll have about half a sheet of MDF left over, too. Hank gets first shot at it, but otherwise it's up for grabs. :)
The 20" tube shipment is supposed to arrive this afternoon (Thursday), so I'll probably go pick it up tomorrow (Friday) and get started over the weekend.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Way ahead of you there, Hank. She was actually fine with the fact that I wanted to register at Home Depot. And after I built stereo amp, a guitar amp, 2 headphone amps, and refurbished many vintage speakers and recievers in the past year or two, I think she's realized that she's marrying a DIY'er for better or for worse. ;)
I figure it's time to give speaker building a try. If the results are half as good as my other projects I'm sure it will be well worth it.
Jeff, if there's any materials left over that others don't claim I'd happily take a donation... I promise to put it to good use.
And let me know if there's going to be another Austin meet- sounds like you guys have built some pretty amazing stuff.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks