What's new

Attn Phil, JBL vs Klipsch (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Phil I'm considering a JBL S38/Scenter combo vs. a Klipsch RF3 II/ RC3 II setup ... Any opinions ... Note I like my music/movies LOUD, and they will be driven by a 150 w per channel Rotel receiver (RSX-965).

Thanks in advance for your opinion

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey Marcus - well, both sets will play music & movie LOUD!!
But which set delivers an open, airy soundstage while at the same time low and high level dynamic performance on dramatic orchestral works?
Let me give you the standard HTF recommendation, ...to audition both HT sets - if you can, ...with your familiar excellent Digital CD Music recording and REF Audio DVD. Take your time and see if your findings are the same with mine, or another contributing HTF member.
IMHO - the Klipsch horns sounded a bit shrill with peaks between 7 kHz to 15 kHz region which emphasized certain harmonics that I personally didn't enjoy. I like a smooth, wide and flat playback with my music & movies, . . . like a Studio Monitor.
So, ...I'd recommend the CEA Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award Winner - JBL S38, ...because of it's 1" Pure Titanium Tweeter which, once broken-in reproduces sweet, super smooth detailed highs. The tweeter operates in conjunction with a unique Elliptical Oblate Spheroid™ (EOS) waveguide that delivers the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization. The EOS was first utilized in JBL TEC Award Winning LSR Recording Studio Monitors.
As far as playing LOUD, note what Robert J. Reina wrote in his JBL S38 Stereophile Speaker Review - June 2001
To read the entire S38 Review - click the link above.
Also, if you haven't read this earlier thread Parad 20's (f&r) vs. jbl 38's (f&r) vs. inf IL 10 (f&r), read Jeff Koch comments! (from Los Angeles, CA) :)
So, if you can, audition, audition and audition! Your final decision will be based on your sonic preference and taste.
Hope this helps,
Phil

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have the S38s and have auditioned the Klipsch reference.
The Klipsch have high efficiency and can get very loud. The highs can become ear piercing with realism.
The JBLs will get loud and the sound seems smoother and the highs are easier on the ears.
I don't know if Klipsch rates their speakers the same way JBL does but according the stats, the Klipsch will be LOUDER if that's what u want. Of course both speakers can cause ear damage when you're pumping 150 rotel watts through them. I have trouble bearing 100 rotel watts (rb-870bx) with my S38s.
The Klipsch Reference was too expensive for my taste but I would listen to both and decide what your ears like.
My setup:
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCcars/speaker.html

Cam S

Screenwriter
The Klipsch's have a MUCH higher sensitivity than most speakers, so they will play very loud with very little power, in fact the RF-7's pound with a 10 watt tube amp.

But let your ears decide for you, and go with that.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
The Klipsches will play louder with a given amount of power but that doesn't mean they will play louder overall. That has nothing to do with speaker sensitivity (the RF-3s are around 94-95db 1w/1m). I'm sure both speakers will play to reference levels with little strain.

There's just something about speakers with unrestrained dynamics like the Klipsches. I don't know what. Go have a listen. As usual, you'll have the typical "Can't stand Klipsch they're so harsh" versus "I love them they're so crisp and clear" argument. I lean towards the latter.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I too have heard some Klipsch Ref series alongside some JBL S series. My son and I both grabbed our ears when the Klipsch were turned up as they began to get very shrill. I really don't think the sales rep did the Klipsch justice. The JBLs were much smoother though on the same Sunfire amp.

Now that being said, the Klipsch seemed to sound better at lower volumes and with less power but then didn't have the dynamics that the JBL displayed.

As most have said, try to audition both at length and preferably in your own home on your own equipment. Rooms, furnishings and placement do strange things to speakers sometimes.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it looks like I'm going with the JBLs ...
1. a set of 4 S38's and the S center is cheaper than the Klipsh Reference setup.
2. I heard a Klipsch set of RB5's (the bookshelf of the RF3)the center and R3 surrounds. I didn't hear them for long and I'll go and listen again, but my immeadiate impressions were, wow, these are loud ...
That was it. I didn't think the highs were very sweet or the mids extremely smooth ... Then again I'm going back with some of my preferred music to take a detailed listen.
Have you tried Alliyah's CD on your SVS??
:D
The bass on those tracks at reference level is amazing!!
Unfortunately I can't compare the JBL's as I'm in Trinidad ... So it's unseen and unheard for those if I decide to go that route... Same as the Axiom route, except the JBL's are cheaper.
What doesn't help is that my old man recenlty acquired a pair of Vandersteen 2CE signatures with an adcom amp and a accrus pre amp... So I'm comparing everything I hear to those ... That's certainly not helping :b
I'm just very confused ... Maybe I'll just wait 2 months to decide before I do anything ...
Any suggestions for someone in my position?
I swear the easiest decision I made was to get my SVS, EVERYONE said they would rock and they do. I have my 2nd 16-46CS+ on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks