What's new

Attack of the giant spider (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Just playing with my new digicam on a rainy day and took this photo using the Macro mode in a dark place that would of confused my previous digicam. This is taken by a Canon Powershot G3 using Superfine and M1 (1024x768 resolution) using the default Macro mode settings.

Warning, large file (~534k) link:

Giant Spider

Next, I want to try that Photo Stitch software too...

Jay

Evan Case

Screenwriter
There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come.

Evan

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey not bad Jay. However, there is a tad bit of overexposure on that shot, particularly on the left side. Did you use the camera's built-in flash? If so, I suggest avoiding using that flash in macro mode.

I'd suggest using a half-stop less exposure, maybe less. Note the lack of detail on the rock at the left, definitely overexposed.

Did you use a tripod? I'd have expected the spider's hairs to be sharper than they already are, although to be fair, macro mode has a very small depth of field so getting perfect focus across the entire length of the body is tough. Also, don't be afraid to use the highest resolution (2272x1704 or something like that), then use a high-quality paint program to downscale.

Okay enough nitpicking...keep posting more pics. :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Actually, that is just me reaching my hand into the 10 gal tank to get close enough. Had to use the LCD screen to actually shoot the picture since I'm not plastic man.. Shelob.. I mean my T was all over his cage yesterday, just wandering up and down the sides and stuff... Hanging over was also another problem as it's hard to get a still shot when you're reaching in with your arm and having to use the LCD screen to frame the shot. It was also hard to get proper lighting, the light doesn't get in there that easy and a bunch of times the light meter wasn't registering proper lighting so combine that with my shaky hand, it's not as good as it could be. At that point the spider was on the side of the tank (on the glass) so it wasn't the best position for the shot either (which is why I also had to shoot it via the LCD.)

I'll see if he's being a little more photogenic next time...:)

Evan: :D I remember always rooting for the spiders in the old giant creature movies! (Even in The Return of the King) Actually, can't wait to see Jackson's RotK when it comes out so I can see how they did Shelob...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks