What's new

Attaching a splitter to cable outlet (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey guys, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I would like to attach a cable splitter to one of cable outlets so that the outlet can share the connection with the Tv and my X-Box. How hard is this to do? is it as simple as I think where I can just plug the splitter into the outlet and than attach the Tv and my other device to the splitter? thanks.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Should be. That's exactly how I have my cable TV and cable modem hooked up. One line in, split with a simple Radio Shack splitter. One end to my cable modem, one to my TV...works great.

Peter Yee

Premium
Evan's right, this should very easy to do. Take a look at this Radio Shack device. You may, however, find that the signal isn't quite as clear as it previously was -- that was a problem I had when I put a splitter in so that I could drive my TV and my TiVo. Some channels started to pick up hash. Usually, though, there's no discernible difference on my display.

-Peter

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on how strong your signal is, you may need to get a splitter with built in amplification. Either way, the connection is just that simple.

Todd_B

Second Unit
Just to add..Make sure you purchase a Gigahertz (1000 Mhz) splitter (or better) and not anything less.

I had a 900Mhz splitter for my cable and it wouldn't work. My cable modem wouldn't synch.

Todd B

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
After I posted I found we already had a 2-way splitter running which was taken up already, I'm thinking I could replace that one with a 3-way splitter. The whole thing looks very simple.Another thing about this, since I would now have 2 cable modems running in different parts of the house, with both being always on (except my X-Box will not always be running like my computer) will I notice a big decrease in speed when I'm surfing or will it remain relatively the same? By the way if it helps my cable connection is running at the 1mbit speed, in case you're wondering my current speed is. Thanks

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
The problem with splitters (and for that matter most devices in the line) is a reduction of the signal-to-noise ratio. Inlet signal strength is measured in dB (yup, jsut like audio signals). The visual impact is a loss of picture accuracy, like color reduction, or worse, snow.

2-way splitters drop the signal by 3.5-4 dB. 4-way by about 7 dB.

Each splitter will do that, so if you have two in-line, you get 7-8 dB loss.

the other half of that is that the cable company has a certain amount of leeway in increasing (and decreasing) the signal strength to your house. It is not unlimited, which is why a lot of homes with cable modems - which require higher signal strengths than TVs - on one trunk line will suffer a degradation of service; unless, of course, the cable company increases the strength of the trunk line signal.

Check out the following website for more info:

Signal loss web page

Mike

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
I needed to put a cable amp in line before my 8 way splitter in order to get acceptable signal throughout the house. Like said above make sure that the splitters and amp if required are both at least 1Ghz. I just went down to the local cable company and they hooked me up with what I needed.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks