What's new

ATI Radeon 7500, annoying feature.... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just upgraded to the AIW 64MB AGP Radeon, now that my new MB has an AGP slot. Upgraded from a discontinued AIW PRO 8MB card. But, a Question.

I can understand the need for copy protection, but this is a real annoyance for those who want to record clips, or take snapshots for websites. Never mind the fact that I like to backup my tapes, and put the shows I do have on official tape, in seasonal order on a few 8 hour tapes for archival purposes and easy access.

The 7500 'Detects' Copy protected tapes, and there for messes up the picture, like if you tried to take a capture from a DVD Movie using a TV Tuner. Would putting a peice of tape over the outed record tab work and fix this problem? Don't think I have any tape around to test it out..

Thanks..

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It's probably detecting Macrovision, which is part of the video signal. Getting around this is not open for discussion here.

Todd

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, Crap, I was afraid that might be the case...Sigh. So much for duping tapes.

I usually just do it with my TMNT tapes. I watch 'em so much, that if I used the originals, they'd be REALLY degraded in quality by now. Especially considering how bad most of my TV Taped eps look after ten years. It also helps prevent damage to the original by bad VCR... Sadly, at least ten have been ruined in that capacity...

AllanN

Supporting Actor
It is macrovision, in the ATI FAQ it states that it will refuse to record anything protected with macrovision.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>It is macrovision, in the ATI FAQ it states that it will refuse to record anything protected with macrovision. >>

:/...

There where two purposes for getting an upgraded TVTuner. One, is that I wanted to get one that could handle 3D games better. I can barley run stuff like Quake with my older model.

And two, is that I was planning to get a DVD R Recorder in the next few months, so I could archive ALL of my tapes and throw out 75% of them. So much for archiving, and getting rid of, the bought ones... For those, I guess I'll just have to pray that someone realizes their sitting on an 80's property semi-gold mine and officially release them. Then there will be no need to transfer them to DVD R.

Here's hoping the blasted VCR dosn't chew another one up in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks