What's new

asking a neighbor for work (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, Recently I've been looking for a second job to give me something to do during the week and bring in extra income. My neighbors run a business out of their home and employ many high school and college age workers such as myself to help them run it.

Anyways my friend and neighbor will be going over there tommorow to possibly ask them for a job and I got to thinking that with my current situation (no car or license) this could make a great second job. My friend has told me to tag along with him and talk to him and I may have shot at getting in there. I'd really like to do it but it feels so awkward asking a neighbor for work especially when I'm unsure if they are hiring. How should I approach this? do you all think I should try?

If hired the job sounds great. It is literally 6 or 7 houses down from me and pays $6.50 an hour which is considerably better pay than what I make now at the theater. On top of that it could work in tandem with my current job great because they don't work on weekends and at my current job I only work on weekends right now with no chance of getting extra hours.

As stated above I've only been tipped that they may hire. Do you think I should go for it with my friend? it just feels so awkward.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
The worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Might as well ask.

P.S. this advice doubles for asking girls out as well.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I totally agree with Mark. Doesn't hurt to ask at all. Plus, as long as you haven't PO'd your neighbor anytime in the past, they would probably rather have someone local working for them, and that they know will always be there - no car trouble, snowed in, etc. excuses. Just be honest and forthright when talking to the business owner about what you are looking to get out of the job, and how you could be of value to them by being a hard worker and close. They'll hear you out.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
You guys know what I'm talking about. I was making a list of general excuses that people use to miss work. Didn't look at the poster's location.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
update: I went over there today around and was able to talk to one of the neighbors/business owners. I spent a good deal of time over there as she toured me around the business and explained to me what I'd be doing. The business is nothing huge and it is more of a small business geared towards fixing printers and replacing ink for larger businesses here in town. The people literally run the business out of their home. I explained to them I may need some training and outlined my goals and why I want the job. She seemed especially interested in me because I have . knowledge of networking and they run a small network at their home for their business using the same cable service I use.

She told me that if I was still interested to come back when her husband is there so they can both talk to me. I plan on going back on Sunday possibly.

My opinion is that the job sounds great. They start at $6.00
and use flexible scheduling. The best part is that they are nice people and literally live 7 houses down the street from me. I did find out that they've already hired one other neighbor kid.

I'd say the for the first interview it went great. Hopefully the next interview goes just as well.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
6 bucks an hour for someone who knows the basics of networking ? I'd say you're in ! If you get the job, be aggressive at learning and helping out any way you can. Hopefully you'll start dealing with their customers and get some leads with larger businesses in town. Most jobs are found by word-of-mouth referrals, so volunteer to be the "point person" for any customer contact and you'll start building relationships. (make sure you use your best communication skills)

This could be a great opportunity if you're interested in a long-term tech career. Any experience is helpful, even printer maintenance.

Good Luck !

PS - Make sure you have a decent snow-shovel, you'll need to make sure the sidewalk is clear so you can get to work !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks