Ascendant Atlas 15 - IB install pics

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Gilvey, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

No matter how it sounds, and I'm sure it sounds fantastic because I've heard an IB before, this has to be the way to go for someone who wants to DIY, but lacks cabinet finishing skills. Now that I think about it, it must be a challenge to attach the manifold to the wall/door. How much do you think the whole assembly weighs?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is there some support underneath the box in that closet space? Or is that not a good idea, vibration-wise?

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Nice, I have not heard of these drivers before, how long have they been around?. Those baskets look alot like my Blueprint 1804 baskets. [​IMG]

That closet looks like it would be a vibration nightmare. If you have any problems id suggest reinforcing the closet itself, also the box you built looks a little thin even though it is baltic birch. ALso id consider coulpling it to the ground somehow if it give you any problems.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Wow, Jack. Good to see you jump on the Ascendant Audio band wagon. You are inspiring me to make my closet in my theater room an IB now. Where in the room is your closet located? How much power are ya using?

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Damn! That sounds like a lot of power for an IB. Since earlier I have been contemplating a closet IB as well. In unibox I used: four Atlas 15's in 3900 liters, walls covered, tuned to 16hz with 90 watts each. I got flat response from 15hz and up. Ruler flat! And it was 121db from 15hz and up. Sweet.

Oh yeah, it gonna be a vented IB! Sounds killer. Hahahaha!

EDIT: This is also using the high Qts wiring.

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

how do you stop the wall from shakeing? and the wall behind that? i just got 4 18 avalanch installed in my ib and i cant stop anything from shakeing.

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

'Shaking' would be the primary reason for buying and using something as outrageous as 4-18"s.

The room is 'energized' by the sound waves coming off the cones, not the mechanical vibration of drivers mounted in opposition in a manifold.

Turn it down [​IMG]

10. Bryan Michael

anything over 80 db starts the walls to rattle. i just want less rattle from my drywall.

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If the drywall itself is rattling on the studs with 80dB output, there are some build issues with the structure.

If you can access the backside of the wall stiffen it with a layer of 3/4" OSB or 2"X4" diagonal bracing and tighten up the drywall using screws.

Another option is to veneer a second layer of drywall over the first. This adds a tremendous amount of mass to the wall, particularly if you use 5/8" material

12. James W. Johnson

Thats not loud at all, you have some issues then. For starters the IB should be mounted solidly to the inner wall structure which is really the frame of the house and if you think about it that is going to be stronger than any box you can make because the house weighs tons.

My 2 18's are mounted on a 1.5" birch ply baffle then mounted next to a wall corner where the strenght is higher. I have to get into the 100db+ range before I get any rattling and even then its minimal because I have dealt with alot of it.

You cannot beat an IB for SQ period.

They dont have that auto sound kind of loudness/distortion that some people desire, even in an HT subwoofer but really all that is is exagerated and distortion if you think about it.
    Mine has given me a new outlook on what I expect from a subwoofer from here on out.

13. Bryan Michael

all the walls are cosmedic and non structual. they were bult using the wideest gap you can use but still be in code. i think i am going to do 3 things. add more screws to the drywall. add more braceing to the wall. diag braces to the manafold atached to the concrete floor. thanks for the help the bass from the ib is so great. at 80db the power of the bass is just so strong. compared to my dual av15 in a ported box. old sub was loud but did not have the ommph. i also olny have about 1 hour on the sub and not all the cracks are sealed yet so i have about a few more hours of work left.

14. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

also something that I made sure of when the drywall was being hung was that a good bead of adheasive was being used to attach the drywall in addition to the screws. That way they is no chance of the drywall hitting rattling agenst the stud at any point. The only time I really notice any rattles at all is when I am playing a test tone. Any other time there is normally enough content in the rest of the spectrum that it drowns out any rattles.

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

16. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

We do know that these drivers aren't designed to be driven only from the 2 ohm VC, don't we?.... :wink:

17. James W. Johnson

Hey Jack, Thomas.. how would those Avalanche 18"s compare against my Blueprint 1804s?

18. Bryan Michael

wll i got another 20db befor i can hear a rattle. now i have a few more places to add drywall screws and the finishing tuches.