What's new

Are You Ready To Make Some Crazy Money On Your XBox? (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Hitmaker has announced Crazy Taxi 3 and thank god its not Cell-shaded!
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...855639,00.html
The game will be called Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller and takes place in Las Vegas! It looks real good from the early screenshots and is about 40% done. This is another title that I cannot wait for! Its scheduled to be out in the summer in Japan, so hopefully we won't have to wait to long to get it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but you gotta think how much they can change the game from the second one. A new city is neat, but the gameplay is pretty much the same (it seems that way for now).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sure you're still driving around picking people up, but I felt CT2 was a good change. Not only was the basic driving mechanic of the environment different, but you have the jump button to do some crazy tricking ;)
When I get my XB I'll be making some crazy money once again :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Keep the gameplay the same! That's fine with me.
I mostly agree with you there. Actually, I'm not sure that the jump feature was something I liked in the second game, but...with this type of game, there is no need to invent the wheel. Think of it as an add-on even. The new courses are what's important here.

There are some interesting additions already announced, however, such as the ability to save replays. The game is taking place at night in Vegas, so imagine Wreckless-like graphic effects with CrazyTaxi_gameplay. I'm there!

-Dan B

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I've got no problem with another sequel in this series. My problem is when they charge $50 for a game that should cost a whole lot less.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,

With each new CT you have to relearn the City and thats where the fun is at, learning the fast routes, how do I get from A to B the quickest and make the most cash. If they change the gameplay I will be the first down at Hitmaker, ready to kick some ass!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
No offense, but you gotta think how much they can change the game from the second one. A new city is neat, but the gameplay is pretty much the same (it seems that way for now).
Wow, it sounds like THPS3! Except CITY can be switched to 'move'. How did the PS2 version get 10/10??? ;)
Exactly...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing I don't get is when Final Fantasy games have different stories, different characters, different battle systems, and only retain a few elements of the previous games and people complain, but when Crazy Taxi just puts the player in a new environment with absolutely no changes to the gameplay (or even a few changes), it gets critical acclaim.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Ummm I personally can barely tell the difference between the Final Fantasy battle systems. I remember reading all the hype about how different FFX's battle system was and when I started playing it I was blown away, by how similar it was!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
when Crazy Taxi just puts the player in a new environment with absolutely no changes to the gameplay (or even a few changes), it gets critical acclaim.
There was quite a critical backlash against Crazy Taxi 2 on the Dreamcast for how little new it offered over the first one, y'know.

Common paraphrased quote: "If you own the original, you may want to skip this sequel."

I can't comment on the new one, haven't read much about it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The thing I don't get is when Final Fantasy games ... only retain a few elements of the previous games and people complain, but when Crazy Taxi just puts the player in a new environment with absolutely no changes to the gameplay (or even a few changes), it gets critical acclaim.
Well, it might be the old maxim of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rearing its head. :)
To a certain extent, people may just want a sequel to be "more of the same, maybe dressed up a little." And that's better than OK - when doing a sequel to a game, the first priority should probably be retaining as much about the original that made people love it as possible. Update the graphics and sound, make the environments and character selection bigger, but remember what made the first a success.
There are downsides to that, of course - it probably bores game designers to tears, and it's tough to really do a hard sell on "everything you love, only more so!" around the third or so iteration, especially considering the speed at which pop culture moves these days (especially in the gaming area, where you've got a very youth-heavy demographic and hardware manufacturers looking to show that the upgrade is worthwhile).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
This is a cruel and heartless thing to do. Wait until I decide on the PS2, and then less than a week later inform me that I'll be needing an X-Box. And after all the slagging I've given the controller as well. Cruel, Hitmaker, cruel. Still, at least I've still got my Dreamcast for the first two - I can't believe the idiot in EB recommended trading it in.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have nothing wrong with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea, but I think its a little weird how it can only apply to some situations.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Morgan, I think we are talking about two very different fan camps here. Crazy Taxi is an arcade game played for the most part in shorter sessions (although I've have some finger numbing marathons myself), and the style of play is so simple that there really isn't much to change. There simply isn't as much room to "innovate" aside from the look and size of the cities, and those that play it really dont want to relearn a control scheme.

With RPGs and the like, the gameplay has so much more areas in which the developers can and do tweak, point systems, classes whatever. I'd personally want to see many changes in a RPG sequel because you spend 80 hours, who wants to do the same thing with the same feel when the sequeal comes out? Maybe I'm off base, but it's a probable explanation.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
RPGs are based more on the storylines (well, the generic console ones anyway) and not as much on the gameplay. The battle systems are important, and there are changes made between the games in series', but the battle systems for each game only have the same types of similarities as every racing game or every fighting game.

The thing about CT is that even if you only play it in small doses, is a brand new city (and thats about the extent of the changes) worth $50 for only a small amount of play every once in a while? With RPGs, you are given dozens of hours to explore the whole game, get to know the characters, and see the whole plot unfold, so even if the battle system was similar to previous ones, some would argue that you are given a lot of time to enjoy things beyond the similar gameplay.

If you take a Final Fantasy fan and give him Final Fantasy 9 and X and have him play it, they will find more differences between the games than a CT fan will find between CT and CT2. Thats pretty much my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks