Are the buttons on the Sony DA4ES remote supposed to light up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Are the buttons on the Sony DA4ES remote supposed to light up? The little orange screen lights up, but the small white buttons don't...is mine broken?

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

nope, as I recall only the lcd is backlit

3. Ryan DC

Ryan DC Agent

The remote's buttons are glow in the dark. It wont charge them under normal 60 watt bulbs as I have found out. What I do is use a portable 18 volt worklight and shine it on them for about 2 mins. This has charged them for about 45 mins. and after that they start to get dark.

4. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Thx

5. HaryR

HaryR Extra

Josh,
    I have a 4ES as well and I found the remote not very easy to use, especially to change cable channel. So I bought a universal remote, a Radio Shack 2116 (30$):
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2116
    The sony receivers are particularly difficult to program, but you can hack the RS remotes with a JP-1 cable (18$) that link directly to your PC and reprogram the remote to control your entire system.
    If you are interested I can give you more details and help you for the programming, if you don't know how to do it.
    Hary

6. Alain_P

Alain_P Auditioning

HaryR

i have a 4ES and i have been trying to program my RS 1995 with JP1. I lost patience and used and alternate learning remote. Can you send me your files or instructions for the 4ES. I was able to program my Pioneer dvd but the Sony is not very easy. Thanks!

7. HaryR

HaryR Extra

No problem Alain, please let me know your email address and I'll send you the file tonight when I get home.

I actually used an existing file found on the JP-1 group at yahoo.com, using the same sony device codes (16 and 144) as the 4ES, then I just finetuned it, remapped some buttons and added few codes here and there.

When you get the text file, you can just load it into keymap-master.xls, change it to match your remote, remap some buttons to your preference, load it into IR.exe and then upload it to your remote.

I took me a while to get the process but I must say once you're into it, it's very easy.

Hary

8. Alain_P

Alain_P Auditioning