Are Highway Kilometers Really Better?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gordon Moore, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

My wife and I are looking at an '01 Caravan Sport that is in really nice shape but it has high kilometers (124,000 km(77000 mi)).

As the dealership put it..."but they are highway kilometers" (As if that gets them off the hook).

Maybe it's better for the engine but I would have to think that CV joints etc would still take a beating.

For an '01 it has approximately 5.2 years of driving on it(figuring the standard 24,000 km/year).

20% depreciation the first year and 10-15% for the first 5 years is my and others rule of thumb in trying to ballpark what it's really worth versus what they and others in my area are asking.

So again...Do highway kilometers really get them off the hook or is it some myth that sounds better than it really is?

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I don't think it means squat. They are trying to save the depreciation and make a few extra bucks.

You may get away with a little fewer repairs and problems for a while, but them saying it's a cherry ride is wrong.

Is it in better shape than other 2001s you've seen?

Chances are it was used for delivery of some sort ... NO?

Brent

3. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I wouldn't waste my time.

4. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

Allegedly, most of the wear on the engine comes from cold starts when the oil is almost all down in the pan instead of up in the engine where it does some good. Comparing two vehicles with nearly identical mileage, one used for daily 200-mile commutes and the other used strictly around town for short trips, the one with the highway miles is likely to have the better engine, all other things being equal. But, no, you can't just dismiss highway mileage as if it doesn't count. That's a very high mileage vehicle that you'd be best staying away from unless you get a really big break on the price.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Plus, can they prove they are highway KMs?

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Good points all.

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Is there anything similar to kbb.com for Canada? You can input mileage, condition, options, etc. and get some idea of a reasonable price.

BTW, how does the word 'mileage' translate into metric??[​IMG]

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

9. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

kilometerage[​IMG]

Except they use mileage. I am always amused when I am in metric countries and someone states that their mileage is so many kilometers/liter

10. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

11. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

12. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Yea gordon, but I bet you still call it mileage

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you are going to buy a vehicle with that many miles, go back a about 3 or 4 more years and save yourself about eight or ten thousand dollars! The model year is not as important as the mileage (kilometer-age?). Ignore the model year. Concentrate on the mileage and the shape of the vehicle, for that is the real value of the vehicle. And personally, I have seen very few dependable, high mileage minivans. Just my take (I saw a lot of cars when I worked for an auto auction).

14. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Highway miles are better than highway kilometers.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You are aware of the high failure rate for Chrysler 4 speed automatics??

I'd rather have a Toyota Sienna with 77k miles than a new Chrysler van--if correctly cared for it's got more miles left in it than a brand new Caravan.

16. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Highway kilometers also should mean less ware on the brakes.

The 2 best used vehicles my family has ever had were my Moms '92 Chev Lumina mini-van purchased 4 or 5 years old with approx 250,000km on it. It was a great van until it was written off my some women running a red light in a 3/4 ton dodge ram. The other is my '90 Dodge Dakota I purchased it in 2000 with 232,000km and in currently has 307,500km and has been great. My truck was used to commute from Red Deer to Ft. McMurray something like an 8 hour drive. My Mom's van was used by Uncle for business traveling all around western Canada.

17. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Okay, okay enough with the metric hating [​IMG] what do you guys call an odometer? [​IMG]

Alright anywho

18. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Kia run away as fast as you possibly can and don't look back at it. My Mom bought a brand new Kia Sportage in 2001 and has had nothing but problems.

19. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Aiyeeeeeee [​IMG]

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just for giggles i went to edmunds.com - but i had to put in my own zip code. not sure if canadian zip's will work, but you can try.

anyway, when i input your 01 dodge, the tmv (true market value - what others are generally paying) it came to around 12k. after i adjusted it for 77k miles, it dropped to around 8k. that is a serious hit for high miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/dod...ption.1.Dodge*

the website also has some reviews - you may find it useful.

35k miles a year is pretty darn high, and there is NO WAY (that i can think of) that they can prove that it was all highway.

i would probably skip it. one thing about used cars. no matter how good a deal you think this one is, another one will come along. have you done a lot of shopping yet? if not, i do suggest you go to several places. also, hopefully you're not in a hurry. finally, try to finance outside of wherever you're buying from.