What's new

Are empty jewel cases with blank label inserts available? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I don't like to leave discs from box sets or digipaks in the original packages because the packages either don't fit on my shelves or they wear out from constant handling. As a result, I like to put the discs in jewel cases. The problem is that I don't have front or back inserts that I can put in the jewel cases. Are empty jewel cases available that have blank inserts? I would just label the inserts by hand so that I could easily see which disc is which on my shelves. All the empty jewel cases I see in stores come without inserts. I guess they assume you are going to use them to replace jewel cases for pre-recorded CDs that already have inserts. :frowning:
Thanks in advance. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Check your computer store for labels. Avery and Fellows both sell ink/laser jet sheets that you can use to print your own CD labels, and jewel case inserts.

Many of the CD-Burner software thats out there also have label-designer software that gives you both text & paint-brush control for jewel case inserts.

But you just have to buy jewel cases without inserts.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Various software is also available to make the jewel case inserts, depending on how fancy you want to be. Just go to Office Depot, Staples, Circuit City or Best Buy.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Keith,
You can check out www.cd-recordables.com for all the material that you need. I have ordered from them in past and it has always been pleasant. You can also goto BestBuy and goto the computer section to get everything you need. They have the NEATO starter kit which includes: MediaFace II software, labels for 25 Cd's, and the stomper. Addl labels can be bought in packages of a 100. You will pay more at Bestbuy but you'll have it that day ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's always nice to have options. I have seen the software-based options, but I'm not sure I need this to be too involved. For now, I'm not sure which way I will go, but I will look into the various options.

Bob,

Would I need special software to type text onto the Avery or Fellowes labels? Perhaps through trial and error I would figure out how to set up text in Microsoft Word to print out properly on the labels. I am looking for a simple option, and these labels look promising. Finally, do the Avery and Fellowes labels include cards for the front and back of the jewel case? Would I be able to do the spine of the cases easily without special software?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Keith, I have done that on CD-Rs I have made and even saved pictures of the artists and used them on the CD labels with the software package that comes with the labels. If you just want plain text it should be pretty easy.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
keith -
here's how i do it:
  1. i go to comp usa and buy a 50-pack of empty jewel cases. i think it's about 15 bucks
  2. i use my cd stomper kit (http://www.cdstomper.com/) to create the labels
  3. i'm done :D[/list=1]
    i REALLY like the cd stomper kit. it's totally easy - i don't think i've messed up once. it comes with the software, premade labels for the case and cd, and an applicator thing to apply labels to the cd. the software is very easy to use - it automatically pulls up the correct template. you just put the text where you want it, then click print.
    i have a ton of mix cd's that i've made - all of them sit nicely on my shelf with my own labels.
    oh yeah...you can also buy the refills - i don't remember the cost, but it's average. i think a hundred sheet refill is about 25-30 bucks...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil and Ted, thanks for the information. I will see what my local Staples has available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks