What's new

Are all the Usual Suspects SEs like this? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I recently bought the Usual Suspects SE to replace my outdated version. When I opened it, I noticed it had the movie on one side, and the extras on the other. I thought it was strange because I've never seen it like that before. Are all of the Usual Suspects SEs like this, and are there other SEs of movies like this?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
MGM prefers to use DVD-14's for their catalog special editions.

It's A Mad^4 World is like this (except that the movie takes all of a DVD-9, unlike the 2 layers for 2 versions DVD that The Usual Suspects is.) as is The Producers (same as Mad World)

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I'm OK with that, or putting the extras on a second disc, as you can go right to the movie without having to deal with extras you may or may not want to watch.

DVD has become so extra-oriented now that they're actually getting in the way of the movie. Want to see the movie? You have to choose to see it. Why doesn't it just play by default? The movie is the product; the extras are just that....extra.

I just want to see the movie. If I want extras, I'll flip the disc over or press "menu."

Well done on this title. Perhaps others will follow.

Charlie

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
MGM isn't the only one.

WB released Doctor Zhivago in a 2-disc set, but the movie disc was broken into two parts on a DVD-14. I think this is the only title WB ever did a DVD-14 on.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
WB Lethal Weapon 4 has movie on one side extras on another side

UNIVERSAL Pianist has same thing

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
DVD has become so extra-oriented now that they're actually getting in the way of the movie. Want to see the movie? You have to choose to see it. Why doesn't it just play by default? The movie is the product; the extras are just that....extra.
I'm not aware of any dvd that actually has extras that get in the way of the film. The vast majority of discs that go directly to the menu have the 'play' option highlighted. Just press the 'enter' button on your remote and the film starts. How is that cumbersome?

And some like to select the audio track they will listen to. If the dics has the audio tracks locked during play, you have to go to the menu. Better to just start there.

And then, for those of us who like extras, there are the instances where you're not looking to see the film. You want to listen to the commentary track or watch the documentary. Or you want to jump to a certain scene.

And sometime you put the disc in and then leave the room to get a snack or whatnot. Many find it incredibly irritating to come back and find the film has already started.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Superman is also on a DVD-14

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition is, on the other hand, a DVD-18, the only one out there I believe.

Curious though, if MGM prefers using DVD-14s rather than 2-disc sets, why is Die Another Day a 2-disc set? I haven't checked, but I don't the extras are long enough to require a dual-layer disc, so a DVD-14 should have worked. Or perhaps they wanted disc artwork to be consistent across the entire collection of Bond discs, which would therefore preclude using a double-sided disc?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition is, on the other hand, a DVD-18, the only one out there I believe.
The standard edition of Windtalkers is DVD-18, but the full-screen transfer is on the other side. MGM uses DVD-18 often for widescreen and full-screen on the same disc.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They should've at least included the foolscreen version of Die Another Day in the same set instead of separately (or not at all!)

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know MGM don't release 2 disc sets over there, we in the U.K certainly get them!
Usual Suspects here is on 2 seperate discs as is Raging Bull, Silence Of The Lambs, The Terminator and others

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks