What's new

Anyone tried the Marchandelec Active Crossover? (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
I use the Marchand XM9L with my Dynaudio Contour 2.8 towers and an M&K MX-700 subwoofer on the L&R analog outs from my stereo pre-amp.
Marchand gets high marks over at the Audio Asylum forum. IMHO it does not degrade my stereo signal when compared with music I listen to often.
I use a stereo pre-amp in conjusction with a DD/DTS processor for HT, but currently have all the bass re-routed to the main L&R where I have the xover.
BruceD

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian.
I was looking for that Kit, but I couldn't find it, so thanks for that.
I had just realised that the Marchand kit wouldn't do 2 things, volume control and phase, so it was starting to become more trouble than it was worth.
Have many people tried the kit, and how was it?
I can see any pics of the power supply...

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I'm not aware of any kits that "do" phase. The Paradigm X-30 has this control and is reasonably priced
Believe John Pomman's kit uses a "wall-wort" for its power supply
I have 3 Marchand XM-9's, an XM-6, and a Bassis. Phil's stuff is top notch, and dead quiet

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
John Pomann's kit does have phase shift control(as well as volume). According to his website this was recently added. As for the wal-wart, you could always build it into an enclosure or build your own power supply.
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly do you mean by "wall-wart"? :)
I am in Australia, where the only Paradigm dealer is 3000km away and is quite expensive. The X-30 here is $AU469 = $US235 + shipping.
This is a little too expensive. I am a student, and am trying to build a flexible system, without blowing the bank.
What I really need is the X-30, second hand. The X-30 was the first unit I looked at.
Can't you just flip the amp terminals and get 180 out of phase? It is a 4th order so....

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The John Pomann kit might be just the thing. He would sell it cheaper without the powersupply which wouldn't work for you anyway. The circuit need +12 and -12 volts DC. Should do everything you want but you should have some electronics experience or some help to be successful.

Have you checked out Rod Elliot's website?
Link Removed
Check out the active 24db L-R crossover. Link Removed
Also check out the article 'Benefits of Biamping, not quite magic but close'. Link Removed
I've built this crossover using his circuit boards, and they sound fantastic. He's in Australia, so the shipping isn't expensive, and he really helped me out when I pestered him with questions.
I used parts from Jaycar and Dick Smith.
Here some piccies of my crossover when it was almost finished (not so neat now the cables are installed) www.bluemarine.com.au/mark

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at it the other day. I would prefer to get something from Australia...all of them seem to have drawbacks...
The Marchand has no volume control..
as does the ESP one..
The Pomann seems a little "dodgy" if you know what I mean. PS will also be a problem for that unit...
Damn! Those are some NICE pics. Where did you get the box to put it all in from? Looks VERY professional. How much was the total price in parts?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Peter
You can order the XM-9 circuit board "kit" for $45US. This has provisions for level(volume) and damping controls, but as previouly noted no phase controls.
John Pomman unit really isn't "dodgy". It's just designed/engineered to be built to a very low price point. John's a nice/honest guy that makes good quality products. Like you he's a student, so sometimes he's not immediately available.
You should be able to find a 12/15 volt "wall-wort" power supply at any local electronic parts supplier. These are the little black devices that power telephone answering machines/cordless phones/external modems, etc.

I built a 3 channel, 3 way crossover, you may not require something as complex, it cost almost $A400 all up.
The circuit boards were about A$25 for the crossover each and about $20 for the power supply board.
One crossover board will do a stereo 2 way crossover, or mono 3 way.
The case is from dick smith, a discontinued item at $40, jaycar has some for a bit more.
The parts cost about A$200, there's a lot of op-amps and capacitors in there.
For the transformer I am using an 'aura interactor' bass shaker transformer 12-0-12VAC (plugpack), available from jaycar. You could use a internal toroidal if you want.
I reckon you could build a stereo crossover in a nice case for about A$200-250
PS. I'm building a pair of Shiva sonosubs at the moment, should be finished in a couple of weeks (months, probably). I'll let you know how they go, if you want.

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
ThomasW:
Thanks for pointing that out. It wasn't clear what it all meant. Shipping for me for a kit+PS from Marchard is $US35, which is quite expensive. I dont mean to be a tightarse, but $US35 = $AU70 = Almost a full weeks income for me....
The PS that John Pomann uses wont work for me, as you said, and this may make the project just that little bit more difficult. The ESP kit seems a little more flexible, although it does not have an attenuator....which could be a potential problem....
Support for ESP projects seems quite good, that, and the fact it is in Australia is big plus for me.
I still haven't decided, I seem to change my mind about every 30 seconds....
I thought that was what you meant by a wall-wart.. :)
Mark:
I initially, all I am trying to do is build a active crossover for a DIY shiva sub. Phase isn't really a problem, all I really need to do is switch the amp output cables, and the phase flips 180 degrees...
Problem is the volume control...I know a potentiometer can be used, but I am waitng for an email back from ESP regarding this. Surely this would be needed for an active x-over anyway to match drivers?
There is an output buffer, but not too sure exactly how to use it..my email to ESP did ask this question.
I would probably just go for a single 2-way crossover, and use the lowpass to feed the sub.
WRT to PS, I can just get a 16V etc cheap PS from a local electronics shop. Most are around $AU20-25.
It'd be great if you could let me know how the shiva's go. What enclosures are you putting them in?

Peter
The Project 09 description on the ESP site is just an introduction. When you buy the board you get much more detailed circuit layout/construction info.
The ESP circuit board has provision for volume control for every output (which can be bypassed if necessary). It also has input buffers, and can be configured in a number of different ways.
My shiva sonotube subs are going to be 127 litres tuned to 19hz. Using 400mm formatube and a 100mm vent with 30mm flare at either end.
We are making a closing lid over the port to convert from vented to sealed (similar to the 'folderol cannon', but the top circle moves down to seal the port) http://lonestar.texas.net/~bdub/subwoofer/

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds very very (actually, scarily) similar to the sub I was modelling.
It will be a 90% music sub, so tightness is key, but I think the ported version, with the potential to be sealed adds that extra dimension of flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks