Anyone Thinking Seriously About Buying the new Denon 5805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arthur S, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

This beast is really more like 2 receivers in one package. How the hell do you move a 90 pound receiver?!

Since I am an old goat, I would prefer to have a used Lexicon MC-1 and some Mackie self powered studio monitor speakers. Voila! no heavy lifting.

You young strong dudes can check out the Denon and maybe I'll change my mind [​IMG] .

Artie

2. Rich_M

Rich_M Auditioning

Sounds like a stretch to me. Doesn't the 5805 list for like $6500. I cannot imagine Denon selling too many at that price. Seems like buyers could be looking at a lot of HQ seperates for that much cash.

3. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

[sarcastic]It has what we all need, you know....ethernet input, firewire audio, a front hdmi input, rs232, etc. you know, your standard receiver stuff...

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The 5805 is definitely an argument for Denon to do separates. I don't know who the market for this thing is. [​IMG]

5. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Take out all the different zones, some of the amp channels, drop the price a couple of K......what you're left with would be a solid 200wpc x 7 receiver......and a lot more buyers.

6. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Seems that the 5805 is kinda like the Hummer, man. More often as not it seems that it's primary purpose is for compensating for your... [​IMG]

7. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

When their distribution network gets a hold of it you will see it for $3800 on-line (still an overpriced behemoth)and denon will try and deny warranty repairs

8. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    A $6000 receiver and it does not even have an AC-3 RF input for Laser Discs. Do we really need FIVE Component Inputs or for that matter TWELVE Digital (6CoAxial/6Optical) inputs? Actually I don't have a problem with too much of something but when it comes at the expense of something like a missing AC-3 RF input, then it irks me. Quite honestly this one thing in itself has been a big dampner for me as far as my enthusiasm for the AVR-5805 is concerned. Also, I wonder what percentage of people actually use multi zone features, my guess is not very many people do. I really think Denon has screwed up on this one and should get a reality check done by getting some feedback from actual customers as to what they want.

Sanjay
    Member since 1997

9. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

I wonder what percentage of people actually use multi zone features, my guess is not very many people do
    ....................end quote..............

Almost all of the mid to hi-end installs I sell (the kind of sale that may involve such a behemoth), are multi-zone......whole house audio distribution is almost a de-facto standard for new homes/or retro-fit installs

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I only have a 3803, and live (by myself) in a small 5 room house. But I have 3 rooms hooked up. I have the main zone set up as 6.1. I have monoblocks for Zone 2. and I use the tape outs to an old receiver for another room. It is very nice to be working around the house and have music in every room. I would also use it to centrally locate things like a DVR and still be able to distribute it to any TV without additional expensive gear.

Although I will not be able to afford a $6000 receiver for a long time, but I could definatly see using a lot of the features on it. My 3803 is over stuffed with things (and I thought it had a ton of inputs when I bought it 2 years ago with a simple 5.1 setup). I already could use another 2 component inputs, and another digital coaxial input.

11. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

As far as separates concerning Denon, there were pics at the recent CES Convention of their upcoming model. From what I recall it had separate processors for audio and video to go along with the amps. This receiver is overkill. The fact that it does not have an AC-3 is interesting. I think the 5803 has one.

12. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

I gave away my LD 3 years ago

13. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3805 on the way!

Oh wait, you said 5805....... *faints*

14. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

If I had around 6K to blow on a receiver I would do a Halo C2/A23/A52 and get something for the multi-room like a used receiver. The 5805 is a sweet piece of hardware but way too tempting to go with seperates.

15. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

For 6K you could only get a C2 and A52. No room for an A23 or receiver for you in there. But I get your point...for that kinda money I'd go seperates over a Denon too, flagship or not.

16. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

it's looking more and more like a proof of concept piece to me. imagine having to ship it back to Denon for upgrades - well, you wouldn't want this behemoth to be obsolete when DPLIII, or DD-SEX (Super-EX) comes out

17. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

The parasound trio would be $6840 at audio insider plus taxes and tags, a tiny bit over budget but the few hundred would be worth it. I really enjoy my denon but I think they are trying to get their R&D back a little to quick.

18. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

People who still harbors LD's should already have an outboard AC-3 RF,and what ever happened to the Uncompressed PCM[through DPL] sounds better argument anyway?Especially with DPLIIx?

19. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    Why, may I ask, should I have to buy a seperate AC-3 RF demodulator? Given the price of the AVR-5805 and with so much of everything in it, not having an AC-3 RF input is inexcusable.

Sanjay
    Member since 1997

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Same reason why most receivers and pre/pros do not include phono preamps any more. Time moves on... [​IMG]