What's new

Anyone taken the hobby to the next level? (1 Viewer)

Seth G

Stunt Coordinator
We had the discussion at work the other day about what we all would do if we were to choose a different career path. One guy mentioned opening a bar/grill, one of the gals metioned a wedding planner. I thought about it for awhile and thought it would be really cool to do some home theater work and it got me really thinking about it.

I'm just curious if anyone out there has taken their home theater hobby to the next level. For instance, maybe doing some part-time or weekend consulting? Or did you start your own home theater installation company? Or are you like me and end up just doing free consulting/installation for everyone else in the family? :)

Anybody had any experiences they'd like to share? Is this a crazy dream that I should just forget about?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I've thought about it too... but I think HT consulting is a bit of a niche market. The customer you'd probably cater to would be in the upper-mid class to wealthy who just doesn't want to have to think about how it all works, just that it does work, which is fine, I just don't think your phone would be ringing off the hook. That's why I've decided to become a male stripper instead.

Or are you like me and end up just doing free consulting/installation for everyone else in the family?
I recently helped a friend set up his new surround sound and new TV. I've always thought of him as a pretty "HT saavy" guy and was surprised to find he was lost when I started to describe how to hook it all up... unless maybe he didn't want to deal with it... and just wanted me to be the one crawling behind the entertainment center. :angry:

Actually, I've kicked around the idea of building custom loudspeakers. I've got a friend with all the measurement gear and a connection at a local high-end HT/audio store where I might be able to hock them. Hmm... perhaps I'll make a few phone calls.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
My wife's dad seriously wants to build some gigantic horn speakers. I think that would be fun.

I opened a custom photographic lab, and I'm having a blast. If I weren't here, I'd probably be at some kind of HT shop. It'd be great fun to run one, but I hear the margins are really slim on the gear, so if you're not making a big pile o' money on installation or something like that, you can get killed by the big boys and the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks