What's new

Anyone purchase their TV from Internet seller? (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Trying to find a bargain at local retailers for an LCD monitor is nearly impossible. I've never purchased a TV online and am interested in hearing from anyone who has. Most of the online sellers have a "No Return" policy on an opened box TV that doesn't work and indicate that any sucj problems have to be resolved with the manufacturer and their service center.

Can anyone share an experience with me?

Thanks

Steven:B

Auditioning
I just purchased a Toshiba 34" widescreen 34HF83. It weighs 166 pounds and was delivered by big scary truck this morning. With any item you have delivered by truck, you should always inspect the box for any damage on the outside before signing.

I imagine a LCD TV would be lighter, thus could perhaps be delivered by UPS?

The Toshiba has a good warranty and mentioned that if there was a problem a tech would come out and either fix it at my home or pick it up and take it back to the shop.
Check the manufacturers warranty on the LCD.

I figured I could save $$$ and after all, all TV's were shipped from someplace like Mexico or Asia. Whats a few more miles to NH?

I bought from Consumer direct warehouse in NC. I do not think they would take the TV back. But they had the $$.

Crutchfield I later dicovered put the TV on sale and had a good return policy you may find reassuring. Also goodguys.com did too.

I did lots of research on boards like this as well as CNET.COM I also viewed the TV on both cable and HDTV at a local retailer.

Hope this helps.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dennis:

I have read many posts from people that have bought their big screen TV from One Call and were very pleased with the results.

Like Steven said. Inspect the box carefully before you accept delivery. If it looks beat up refuse to accept the TV. Many online stores have a delivery service that includes having them unbox the TV and set it up for you. There again if it doesn't work after they have set it up for you refuse to accept the TV.

One Call is an authorized dealer of many of the popular brands.

Parker

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have bought a 61" and 65" Toshiba from OneCall with no problems. I'm looking into getting an LCD in a few weeks so OneCall in on my list again.

HanLee

Grip
bought 47 inch panasonic from One Call. Had the best price. Everything went smoothly. TV still works :)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Got a 51HX93 Toshiba RPTV a month ago from Onecall for $2045 with white glove delivery (they deliver it into your residence, vs. just dropping it off and signing for it at the curb. It works like a charm.

SteveAnd

Grip
Are you looking for a true LCD display, or a LCD RPTV? Makes a difference. I purchased a LCD RPTV online, but even though it is really light, it had to be delivered via a freight company(box is huge). The company I purchased from is an authorized dealer for everything they sell, and they are actually based out of a real b&m store. Just make sure the company you buy it from is reputable with a good return policy.

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my post. I'm going to have to check out "One Call" and see if they carry the set I'm interested in. I used to order lots of stuff online but have been buying items locally lately. Have never had a problem until the last time I bought an item at our local Staples. I picked up a 19" Envision LCD monitor...on sale for $519...got it home and plugged it in...worked great..until the next morning when it wouldn't come out of "sleep mode". Fortunately Staples took it back and gave me a new one which has been working fine for the last 6 months. That little experience has made me a bit gunshy about buying some electronics (read BIG $ items) and have them go "toes up in 24 hours"....then trying to contact the manufacturer's service center, repackage, pay postage and then wait for the repair. I keep telling myself that chances are 99 out of 100 that the item will work fine..and if it doesn't, it's still worth the $300-500 saving compared to buying locally. Right :b

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
bought my sony 51ws-510 from goodguys.com. free shipping 10% off and no sales tax made a big diffence in the final cost. haven't had to test out the repair service yet thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks