What's new

Anyone live in or near Peekskill, NY? (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows whether Peekskill is a nice place to live. In particular, is it relatively safe, is the school system good, is the downtown area vibrant or run-down, is it convenient to movie theaters (:)), etc.
Also, any opinions on the other Hudson River towns, eg. Croton-on-Hudson, Ossining, Briarcliff Manor, Tarrytown?
Thanks in advance,
Joe

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I live in Orange County, 40 minutes west of Croton. My ex g/fs bother lives there. Tarrytown in over the Tappan Zee bridge and closer to NYC. The 2 arent very close to each other about 40 minutes apart if I remember correctly.(Thats also Sleepy Hollow country)

Tarrytown would be better if your someone who cant sit still and are always lookin for somehting to do as its closer to Manhattan,White Plains,Yonkers etc.The area near Croton is pretty quiet and laid back-and there doesnt seem to be much to do there. Homes are astronomical in price, not sure about rent but its got to be expensive also.

The area around the Hudson is nice. West Point(about 30 minute from me) and the surrounding area is breathtaking during the winter.

I hope you can find some decent work as the areas your looking at are very expensive.

I dont know about the schools. As I said some of that area is very wealthy so I would imagine the schools there are ok. You should be able to find anything and everything though. The stores in the 5 borroughs cant be beat-you can find everything you could ever want. And the movie theaters should be everywhere the closer you get to NYC.

After writing all that I noticed your from New Jersey. Im not sure what part your from, but Northern NJ is pretty crowded. It shouldnt be too different from where you are now.If you want to see a realyl nice town check out Warwick NY near the NY/NJ border-a few celebrities have houses there. That area is really nice. Or try a bit moe North near Dutchess County(Poughkeepsie) .

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
I live about 10 miles from Peekskill. There are nice parts and there are slums. It really runs the gammet of society. There are parts of peekskill that I would not get out of the car at night and others that my car is not nice enough to drive around in if that tells you anything. I would recomment Yorktown, Somers, Mahopac, Putnam Valley, Bedford, Katonah, Croton. All of these have nice theaters or are at least within ~30 mins of Several theaters. It really is the burbs. Beautiful area that has access to both The City and The Woods. Like the gentleman before me said, the area gets pricey (Taxes are very high in Westchester)
Good Luck and I hope this helps.
Mike
PS. here is a hyperlink to a northern westchester newspaper if you want to read a little of the local news
North County News

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Thanks JonZ.

I am currently renting an apartment in Hudson County, NJ, but my wife and I are looking forward to moving into a house/townhouse and upgrading my HT. My work at the moment is near Grand Central Terminal, which is why the Hudson River towns are appealing because all the Metro North trains go to GCT.

As for things to do, we're not all that concerned. We'll have HT or go to the local movie-plex, and on the weekends (or even weeknights) we can head into Manhattan. My wife prefers the rural atmosphere as well, so a place like Croton would be a nice change from busy north NJ.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi Michael,

Would you know which parts of Peekskill are the "slum" and which are the nice parts? For example, Main St, Hudson Ave, Nth Division St, Rte 6? Would the Chapel Hill development on Maple Ave be considered "ritzy"?

Also, have you been to the UA Cortlandt Stadium 11 in Mohegan Lake? If so, how is it?

Thanks,

Joe

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Have you checked out the Nyack or Spring Valley Area? How about the area around the Palisades?

Its close to NYC and very nice. I really like some parts of Rockland County.

If you dont mind the commute check out Central Valley - Monroe,Harriman,Warwick and those surrounding areas(about 40 mintues to NYC-thats getting closer to me).

I do like Tarrytown, but some of the others mentioned are too expensive. I wouldnt live there.

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
The UA theater is a nice multiplex. The whole shopping center as well as the theater are only 2 or so years old. I know to say stay away from Rt. 6. I would reccomend just driving up one day, taking in a movie and spend the day driving around the area. There is a lot of it to see, and the goods spots do far outnumber the bad. The bad spots are obvious (and shrinking which is nice) I don't know how far you are, but a drive up the hudson might show you how beautiful all of the river towns are.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks