What's new

Anyone know where to get GBA SP stuff? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What accessories would you need? The AC adapter comes with the unit, you can't replace the batteries, it's sidelit...there's really no accessory I can think of that they would make for it besides possibly a case to hold the screen in place at a specific angle or cords to connect GBAs together (but those cords would be the same for the GBC, GBA, and GBA SP).

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Yeah, there's really not a whole lot of SP-specific accessories to mention. The only thing that I've really heard about are carrying cases.

As both a (future) SP owner and a retail salesperson, I am so glad that there won't be the dozens and dozens of crappy third-party accessories like there are for the regular GBA--it'll make buying and owning one easy. No more "which of these horrible third-party lights is the least-crappy?" decisions to wrestle with.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You can't replace the batteries. You might be able to open the thing up, but Nintendo designed them to be in there for a few years before they need replacement.

And the headphone adapter, AFAIK, should be about $5. It plugs into the AC adapter port, so you can't charge the thing up while using headphones, though I guess there aren't many situations where you'd want to do both at the same time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-

I've read from several places (in print and online) that said the GBA batteries wouldn't need to be replaced for a few years, so Nintendo decided not to offer extra packs.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
As both a (future) SP owner and a retail salesperson, I am so glad that there won't be the dozens and dozens of crappy third-party accessories like there are for the regular GBA--it'll make buying and owning one easy. No more "which of these horrible third-party lights is the least-crappy?" decisions to wrestle with.
What an odd statement from a "retail salesperson". Accessories, even the crapy ones, are the bread and butter of the retail industry (when it comes to video games). Despite what you may think, accessories write your paycheck.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
What an odd statement from a "retail salesperson". Accessories, even the crapy ones, are the bread and butter of the retail industry (when it comes to video games). Despite what you may think, accessories write your paycheck.
Yeah, I realize that. :rolleyes

There's just so many lights and batteries and grips and speakers and protectors and other add-ons that are available for the regular GBA, that the built-in ease of selling a GBA:SP will be refreshing.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I've read from several places (in print and online) that said the GBA batteries wouldn't need to be replaced for a few years, so Nintendo decided not to offer extra packs.
The point of replacing the battery is not because the battery may go bad its for those extra long trips where you don't have the ability to recharge but you can just swap a new fully charged one in if needed.

I think its extremely lame that Nintendo is making people buy a headphone jack adaptor instead of just including it in the console box.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
:star::star::star:I got one for you, its a special lens that you can use to project up to a 1000 foot image on a wall! Only catch is you have to play upside down. All this can be had at my super special introductory price of 10 easy payments of $19.95! WOW! Contact me at 555-1234 and order yours today!:star::star::star:
;)

Jeff, Morgan any links to back up your statements?

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The point of replacing the battery is not because the battery may go bad its for those extra long trips where you don't have the ability to recharge but you can just swap a new fully charged one in if needed
I agree, and I think they would do better if they used battery packs that were under a screw-on cover, but that's not the way it is.

If you read the latest EGM, there is an article on the GBA and it clearly says that Nintendo is not making extra packs and that you can't (or at least aren't supposed to be able to) replace the batteries. This was also said in MANY of the news stories about the GBA when it first was announced. I would provide a link to the GameSpot story, but it's for GSC members.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Accesseries won't be available until closer to launch here in the states. As for extra battery packs I don't know, going from the pocket pc market there isn't any to replace. Meaning they are soldiered onto the board. However they make ones that plug into the units VIA serial port. I am not sure if the GBA SP is going to do this or not. Also the unit is backlit not side lit. Big difference on that. Back lighting allows each pixel to be illuminated where a side light only allows a light source at the front so the middle of the screen would still appear dark. If Nintendo changed the SP to be side lit, I know that they just lost my money.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Also the unit is backlit not side lit. Big difference on that. Back lighting allows each pixel to be illuminated where a side light only allows a light source at the front so the middle of the screen would still appear dark. If Nintendo changed the SP to be side lit, I know that they just lost my money.
The GBA SP, like the Afterburner, is frontlit, not backlit. Frontlighting lights the screen completely evenly. See this picture, also from Lik Sang, which compares the Afterburner and the GBA SP.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
See this picture, also from Lik Sang, which compares the Afterburner and the GBA SP.
The GBA SP is sidelit. It looks like frontlit, but it's technically sidelit. Frontlit would mean it has lights all around the screen, I think, whereas sidelit has lights on the two sides only.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
The GBA SP is sidelit. It looks like frontlit, but it's technically sidelit. Frontlit would mean it has lights all around the screen, I think, whereas sidelit has lights on the two sides only.
I've never heard those definitions of frontlit and sidelit before. I thought frontlit meant lit from in front of the screen, and backlit meant lit from behind.

Has this been confirmed anywhere that the GBA SP is lit from two sides? Regardless of where the light is, the entire screen is evenly lit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I looked it up, and a few sources said that the screen is, in fact, frontlit. You were right, my bad.

I was probably thinking of the Afterburner, which (I think) is a side light. A friend and I were talking about this a few days ago (whether the screen was front/side/backlit on the GBA SP) and I confused them.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Morgan,
I think you may have of your facts messed up, so I will go back and check the latest issue of EGM. However, you may be right but I swear that I read about being able to change batteries....I really hope you can. No matter what though I'm still getting that little bad boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks