What's new

Anyone know the name of this software?? (1 Viewer)

shujaatkhan

Auditioning
A WHILE back, someone here directed me to this computer software that measures the frequency response of a speaker without using a microphone. It requires a SPDIF connection between the computer and the receiver.
I deleted it and can't find it online (I forgot the name!)
Anyone know what I'm talking about??!
thanks
-sk
[Edited last by shujaatkhan on October 10, 2001 at 12:04 AM]

BruceD

Screenwriter
Can't see how that would ever work, as the fundamental requirements of speaker frequency response requires the electro-mechanical operation of the "actual" speaker drivers.
The only other thought would be speaker modeling software that predicts output based on entering box dimensions and speaker driver characteristics.
The only thing I can see being measured by your method is the frequency content of the signal source itself.
BruceD

shujaatkhan

Auditioning
Ur right, my mistake. Didn't think about it before asking! but your right it couldn't possibly measure freq. response. I guess all it did was measure the frequency content.
thanks anyways.
-sk

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I've used www.spectraplus.com to measure the bass content of many films. I go straight from the subwoofer preout to the input on the soundcard.(measuring the content in a film...not speakers of course)
TV

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
So is there any good software that can show the speakers response with a microphone? I'm thinking of just hooking up the Radio Shack SPL meter to my sound card and having the software chart the frequency response.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

BruceD

Screenwriter
The software that I use is called ETF5.0
ETF
It produces a software generated audio sequence (MLS), then listens to itself through a microphone (the RS SPL meter works here), measures the impulse response, and then performs FFT (Fast Fourier Transforms) to produce a frequency response graph.
This all happens pretty quickly and can even be used in psuedo-real time. You could actuslly move your speakers around the room and record multiple graphs on the same screen.
The site also has a great demo-room tutorial to help you understand what's going on in your speaker/room situation.
Bruce
I'm just a satisfied user for the last year.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Thanks Bruce, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Anybody have any other experience with similar software?
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, looks good. What are the prices for the software, microphone and preamp?
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

BruceD

Screenwriter
Hank,
If you go to the website they list it all (products and prices for software and a calibrated mic and preamp).
If you want to use the RS SPL meter as the mic then all you need is the software for yout PC.
I DIY built a calibrated microphone and battery operated pre-amp from a kit offered by someone on the web who is no longer there.
Here is the exact info on the mic and preamp I built:
Link Removed
BruceD

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, thanks. I couldn't find the prices with a quick run-through of their site. I'll go back and search. I've seen plans for a D-I-Y mic using that same Panasonic mic cartridge. It was just the mic cartridge glued to the end of a length of PVC tubing, and connected to a RS analog SPL meter. The plans you link to look pretty good - flat amp response! Your way definitely is the bang-for-the-buck mic/preamp solution.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
[Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 16, 2001 at 07:16 AM]

BruceD

Screenwriter
Hank,
The opening web page has a purchase button, below is what that has:
prices
I think I paid about $80-$90 for a calibrated mic wand already built and calibrated (including a diskette with calibration adjustments and a printed frequency plot) plus the parts to build the preamp. It went pretty quickly.
The best way to use the software is to try out the free software download with the RS SPL meter (the RCA jack on the RS SPL meter is an output jack, not an input jack).
Then you can just buy the license to make it a valid copy.
I use a notebook PC for my system and it's hooked up like below. I picked up the RCA to stereo mini-phone plug adapters at Radio Shack.
Wiring Diagram:
#1 stereo mini-phone plug adapter--> LINE Input on notebook PC
---> Left channel to RS SPL meter's RCA output
---> Right channel jumper to RCA #2 stereo mini-phone plug
#2 stereo mini-phone plug adapter--> LINE Output on notebook PC
---> Left channel to System's single channel amp RCA input
---> Right channel jumper to RCA #1 stereo mini-phone plug
BruceD
[Edited last by BruceD on October 16, 2001 at 02:04 PM]
[Edited last by BruceD on October 16, 2001 at 02:06 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks