What's new

Anyone know, does costco accept coupons? (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Costco had Old Yeller for $18.99 (I've heard $17.99) and I still have a coupon for $2 off a BV title. OY is one of the listed items. Can I use this coupon at Costco or is my only option $19.99 from BB to get the total to $17.99?

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I tried to use a similar coupon not too long ago and was rejected rather rudely.
The response, though, was consistent with that I see as an increasingly hostile attitude at Costco toward customers. I was practically tackled the other day for taking my 5- and 7-year-old kids to the restroom with a paid purchase in my hand! Something about my (or my kids') behavior must have alerted the associate, because I couldn't have gotten a quicker, more hostile response had I been holding a lit stick of dynamite in my hand. The associate said "NO MERCHANDISE PAST THIS (imaginary) LINE!" I said it wasn't merchandise because I had paid for it (I waved my receipt even more prominently), but the associate said "PUT THAT STUFF IN THIS CART...IS THAT OK WITH YOU?" I said no, it was not OK--I was tired of being treated like a criminal, but I put the few items in the Official Security Cart before taking my kids for a slightly unnerved wee-wee.
What an unpleasant experience. All I've done is spend thousands of dollars at Costco, but I made the mistake of assuming that, as a law abiding customer, it just might be OK to carry my merchandise into the bathroom while I peed--knowing full well that I still had to pass through the armed security checkpoint at the door before leaving. :rolleyes
Sorry for the rant.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Weird. . .my local store (Hackensack, NJ) has much friendlier employees.

I've never tried to use an outside coupon at Costco, but I do use Costco coupons, which are often very cool.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, Costco does not accept manufacturer's coupons. Only the special coupons they send to members from time to time.

I think the official reason is that handling/processing the coupons, returning them to the manufacturers, and processing the reimbursements would increase their overhead (and their prices, and our membership fees, etc.).

My store also seems to remain fairly friendly. I've never seen any employees near the restrooms, let alone guarding the entrance, but I do know a sign is posted about taking merchandise into the restrooms. Sounds like Bill's store is taking a page out of the Best Buy customer service manual.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Looks like it's off to BB for some returns and to pick up Old Yeller with a gift card and coupon. Thanks guys!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Costco is selling OY and the other Vault Disney titles for $17.49, actually...so save the coupons for a different Disney title that you MUST buy somewhere besides Costco. You'll save $ in the long run.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
They also have mfrs "instant rebate" coupons, which are basically temprorary price reductions. And look for items that end in the price of .77 rather than .99 - it means its reduced and theyre not going to carry it anymore.

For some of the inconveniences they have (i.e. hours/crowds/no coupons/only Amex) their deals are almost always better than other stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks