What's new

Anyone install Brinks home security systems, or know a lot about them? (1 Viewer)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Perhaps someone here is very familiar with Brinks home security systems?

A friend just bought a house that has a Brinks security system in it. It was installed in 97. It is a rather thorough system, and seems to be fully powered (with functional batt back-up). There are two keypads, both illuminated, that display "NOT READY Call 1-800-XXX-XXXX". I rewired their telephone system and did retain a line (two actually) to the security control box, but i have it disconnected.

Is there a way for them to utilize this security system right now, without it being monitored? All of the hardware is there and apprarently good to go. They would like to experiment with it before obligating themselves to a service contract, plus it would still serve a security purpose (siren, etc.). The sellers did not leave behind the instructions/manual for the system.

Thanks

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Generally, Brinks has half-decent quality, however, you never own the system. You lease it. It has proprietary monitoring, that will likely deny you the ability to use the system if it is not hooked up to Brinks (youi can't use anyone else). Whether or not it can be used a 'local alarm' (that is without monitoring) will depend on how it was set up, however, it is unlikely because of the way they are set up. I am describing the Canadian system, however, I would think it the same in the US.

I design security systems and strongly discourage the Brinks system because of the proprietary monitoring. Standard monitoring rates are well under 20 bucks now, after you have completed an initial contract, but not with Brinks. Additionally, you never own the system; and I feel this to be unethical. However, to each his own.

BTW, the keypad may have been OEM's by Ademco, a well-known alarm manufacturer. If you know someone in the alarm business, they may be able to do something with them, as well as with the Control Panel.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Well, I can state rather assuredly that my friend now owns this Brinks system. It was sold with the house, under no service contract, and Brinks has absolutely no claim to it.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Scott,

Brinks security systems are a propriety product. This means that no other security firm will be able to utilize either the control panel or either of the key pads as they are "locked out". While your friend may have possession of the Brinks security system, it is not useable by him or any other security firm. He needs to have the security panel and the two keypads replaced.

Basically your friend owns a useless security system that can only be operated (or made operational) by Brinks. Your friends choice are to have Brinks monitor it for him or he hires another security company to replace the control panel and keypads.

Chris

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Christopher,

Yes, I understand that this system would have to be monitored by Brinks or the components you specify replaced. My last comment was pertaining only to the ownership of the equipment in this case, in response to points in Peter's post - if Brinks didn't remove it before the sale, it transfered ownership to my friend with the home. The proprietary system and monitoring I understand as well...

What I was hoping to learn with my query here, possibly from a Brinks professional, is whether or not they can activate and utilize the system unmonitored (local alarm). I would guess that this is possible, though how to make it operational as such is the mystery.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks