What's new

Anyone here use Dvorak? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about learning a Dvorak keyboard. Getting one that is hardwired, labeled for both Dvorak and Qwerty with a simple toggle button to switch between them.

I can type upwards of 70 wpm on Qwerty right now when I know what I want to say. And will likely still have to use a Qwerty keyboard on occation.

Anyone here who can successfully use both? Do you like Dvorak or Qwerty better?

Anyone tried Dvorak, learned it, but went back to Qwerty?

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hey Dustin,

One of my co-workers swears by his Dvorak keyboard... always claiming that it is "more efficient" and the like. However I dont buy into that notion... While it might "theoretically" be more efficient (as the most-pressed buttons are all in alignment), I don't think that getting 3-5 more keystrokes per minute really constitutes a revolutionary way of typing, especially for programmers (my co-worker and me)...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so much into it for an increased typing speed, as my qwerty speed for the most part is fine.
I'm more interested in the less finger movement required and reduced error rates. Depending on the day I would say I vary from a 75-90% accuracy on qwerty, if dvorak got me to above 90% all the time I'd be very happy.
If it actually delivers on both reduced finger movement and reduced error rate, and increases my typing speed a few words per minute, then I feel it would be well worth learning.
And www.dvortyboards.com makes it quite easy to keep your computer usable for others. Labelled clearly in both qwerty and dvorak (although dvorak is more prominent). Hardwired for both (so no compatibility problems). Switched between the two formats by a key on the keyboard with a LED indicator light.
Only problem is, although the price isn't outrageous, it's still more than twice a comparable qwerty board.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Turns out its a simple matter of a few mouse clicks in the control panel to switch a qwerty keyboard to dvorak on pretty much any windows or mac system. Might cause a few problems with really old DOS apps, but then again it might not either. This lead me to a much more economical way to switch to dvorak than buying a $90 keyboard that is hardwired for the switch.
Link Removed
Clear labels that have white lettering in the lower right hand corner. Use them to label your current keyboard to Dvorak without affecting the qwerty labels. Only $10 bucks.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually tempted to give this new keyboard layout a try. I frequently have to work at other peoples computers though so switching back and fourth between layouts might be a little difficult.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
But once you learn to touch type on Dvorak, then it's just a simple matter of a few mouse clicks (on just about any Windows or Mac) when you sit down to someone elses computer to remap it to Dvorak, then a couple more when you switch back.

I tried it yesterday, and it is a simple procedure to have both the US Standard Qwerty and the US Standard Dvorak keyboard layouts installed on your system. Then you can set it up so that either left alt + shift or left alt + left ctrl + shift toggle between the two formats. Set your computer up like this, and any other computer you use frequently and it shouldn't be a problem.

Here are the directions for windows machines from another site. It varies a little bit between 95/98/2000 etc, but it's basicly the same. It doesn't describe how to do what I just explained, but it's pretty obvious how when you get there (mind you I've only set the toggle up in 2k).

From the "Start" menu, select "Settings" and then "Control Panel". From the Control Panel, double-click on "Keyboard". From the Keyboard folder, select the "Language" tab and click on the "Properties" button. Select "United States-Dvorak" and then click on the "OK" button. Windows may ask you for the installation CD to copy the dvorak driver.
I've pretty much decided I'm gonna make the switch over this Christmas. I'll ask for the label kit for a stocking stuffer and see what happens.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You can also go downtown, buy a $10 qwerty keyboard, pop the keys off and replace them in the appropriate places to turn it into a dvorak.

As for typing speed, I've heard the rumors myself. No idea if it's true or not. I type about 120wpm on a qwerty and see no real reason to switch.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
From all the reading I've done, you might eventually get a couple wpm higher on dvorak then you did on qwerty. That is not a reason to switch. The advantage of dvorak from my reading is that it will increase your accuracy a noticable amount, and it will drastically reduce the amount of finger movment it takes to type (like a factor of 10). The reduced finger movement will do wonders for your hands if you spend a lot of time typing.

Qwerty was designed in 1860's to slow you down. Dvorak was designed in the 1930's to be as effecient as possible when typing the english language. In the dvorak layout the vowels are the home row of your left hand, and the most frequently used consonants are on the home row of your right hand. The next most frequently used keys are above the home row and the least frequently used keys are on the hardest to press row (the one below home row). Add to that keys are placed on the left and right side of the keyboard to promote an alternating action between the hands(on dvorak you will amost never type a whole word with one hand). They are also layed out so that while typing you will most likely drum your fingers from pinky to index, instead of index to pinky (try it both ways and see which is easier).

The main reason dvorak never took of, was WWII. Qwerty typewriters were mass produced and no one wanted to spend the money to rekey them. As a result we are stuck with Qwerty until people start to switch. Given how easy it is to switch between the two layouts Windows and Macs now (a couple mouse clicks) I believe now is the time to start the conversion on its' way. Why not be one of those to get the ball rolling and make the switch as soon as possible.

I'm convinced now. I think it's hard to argue that Dvorak isn't a far superior layout to qwerty (just look at he goals of the individuals who created them). I'm gonna switch this Christmas, hopefully I'll have convinced a few others to join me. The sooner the more do, the sooner we will be ride of a bad design in favor of a good one.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'd been thinking about trying out the Dvorak layout off and on for a few years now, and this conversation got me thinking about it again. I printed out labels, stuck 'em on my keys, switched the layout over, and am using it now - insanely slowly, but using it.

I'll see how it goes...

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Dustin B: Thanks for the concise history...I was wondering about that!
Ryan: 120wpm? Wow, you are the Jackie Chan of keyboards! p.s, getthat website goin' again so I can show off your WIDESCREEN demo to newbies...
~Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.