What's new

Anyone heard of Energy line of speakers? Recommended for HT? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

Store I went to was liquidating these as they closed their account with them.

Did not want to just take them for the good price. Has anyone hear heard them? Are they any good? Should I go for JBLs instead?

Was considering

CC1 center
C5 towers 1 Pair
and not sure what the model was for the rears

second question:

what would you suggest as a sub? Energy sub or completely different. Looking for VERY TIGHT over loud or boomy. but 8" or 10" max as I am in a small apartment.

thanks for the input guys!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Energy is a well known national brand with a lyal following. You can purchase these with the knowledge that they are not another "scam" brand. Whether or not you think they are better than JBL is upto you :)

And your logic on subwoofers is odd. There is no reason to beleive a 15" subwoofer will be any more or less "boomy" than an 8" subwoofer. BUT, the rule of thumb for subwoofers is: Bigger woofers go lower and play louder easier than smaller woofers.

So even if you play at X volume, a larger sub may still go lower (say 25hz vs. 37 hz for example) even if it doesn't play louder.

Anyway, Most people will tell you that you should go with a subwoofer from a subwoofer-specific company (Hsu research, SVS, Velodyne, Adire) rather than your speaker company, as you typically get more/better performance for less money.

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks for the advice Garrett. Actually I guess I was looking for 8" to 10" to stay in budget more than any other reason.

actually the sub I had before was bigger than 10" ans was quite tight so I was not thinking size was a factor. sorry if it sounded like I thought that.

so what would you recommend in velodyne as that is a brand I can find here. I would LOVE an SVS but don't want to invest in that just yet. Canadian $ is pretty strong right now but not that strong :)

So you think with C5 towers the C3 rears would match better? will the CC1 be ok as center? As I am trying to stick to a low budget and also have a small room should I go book shelf all around instead?

like C3 front and CR3 for rear? see my couch is up against the wall and I am still trying to figure out how I am going to put the rear speakers.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rolando- Yes, I think that would make a good system. I had C-3's in my system for a while as rears, and I really liked them.

If you only do HT, C-3's all around will work well. If you listen to any music at all, I would recommend floorstanders like the C-5's up front.

If you go look around on www.soundstage.com they have the C-3 and I believe the C-9 reviewed. Very flat freq response in both cases.

Energy is part of Audio Products International up in Canada, which also includes Mirage and Athena. They are one of the largest and most respected speaker companies in the world.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Many years ago the Canadian government funded a research program on acoustics and audio. Several years later, the audio quality of many Canadian speakers jumped up several steps. Energy is one of the companies that seemed to come out of nowhere with quality products.

Even at full retail - Energy speakers are a good value. At liquidation prices - I'd go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.