What's new

Anyone have problems with Shaw cable modem connections? (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
My cable connection goes on and off, and it is usually off for a total of about an hour EVERYDAY. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Aaron

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Sounds familiar...
I complained to Rogers@Home about the frequent outtages but they just replied with an email in the form of a "form letter". The problem eventually corrected itself, but it's problem that all broadband/cable modem users experience due to the exponential growth of the network and technology.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Oops! Double post.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on September 08, 2001 at 07:02 PM]

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I guess I'm lucky that I don't live in an upper middle-class neighbourhood. I am always hearing from my friends who live there that they have problems. The less people in the area on cable, the better(IMHO of course).
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I have problems from time to time, but it's not that frequent, and much much better than the ADSL we had at my previous job. That connection was going down all the time. Our connection seems to go down a lot less since Shaw took over for Rogers here in Vancouver.
If it's happening every day, you may want to contact Shaw to see if there is any possible reason for it. Shaw is in the process of ditching @Home and starting their own network for their internet service. Also, from what I understand, they are slowly switching everyone to use Dynamic IP addresses.
A friend of mine was also having problem with his connection going down. He was told that everyone had to get new modems to accomodate these changes, so they came out and installed a new one for him and everything has been fine. This hasn't affected me yet though.
------------------

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Yeah I have contacted Shaw but trying to get them to do any connection work just because one person complains is virtually impossible. They work on the problems whenever they want to, which I find really irritating.
Another thing which is annoying is that I currently have shaw and telus adsl because I have been testing them so that I can decide which is better.
Shaw download speeds:4.6megabits
Shaw ping to my fave game server:48ms
Shaw connection quality:terrible
Telus download speeds:1.5 megabits
Telus ping to my fave game server:92ms
Telus connection quality:excellent
In 365 days of using telus it has been down 2 days.
In 28 days of using shaw it has been down 3 days, and losing connection everyday for about an hour or more.
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH
I can't decide which is to keep.
Aaron

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron I know how you feel. When we first got a cable modem it would go down for days at a time. The problem didn't fix itself until the company upgraded their servers (and everyones cable modems). But the best speed I can get is still only 1 mbps! And I'm lucky to get that.
I think the reason is because our cable company isn't that big (such as Rogers or Shaw), it's just a small local one. And Telus hasn't started offering DSL in our area yet.
The only other options I have are 56k dial-up, or 128k ISDN. So I'll be sticking with my cable for now :)
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks