What's new

Anyone have a DVD player in their dashboard? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have so many DVD's and Blu-ray's that I have never listened to the audio commentary or extras. I'm just never in the mood to listen to the commentary at home. I would rather watch a movie, TV show or play a video game. The only time I listen to the extras is when I'm on vacation during the plane ride or car ride (someone else is driving) - I have a portable DVD player.

But now I'm thinking of getting a DVD player that fits in the dasboard and listen to the DVD's while I'm driving. I know they are supposed to only work when the car is not in drive but there are ways around it.

Anyone have one that they would recommend to buy?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I did. I had a Kenwood DNX5140 unit in my car. This had GPS, iPod, Sirius XM, Bluetooth, Audio/Video inputs, and it played DVDs. I never used it to play DVDs, but you could. A proper installation would disable playback when the car is in motion (for obvious reasons), but the right installer could bypass this for you.

Ripping the audio track might be the best way to go, to be honest. Certainly the cheapest!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would suggest, for legality...

If your present car stereo has an aux in, run the audio from the portable DVD player into it.

I doubt there is a way to shut off the video during commentary. I doubt you would make it 15 minutes beford getting pulled over. In dash video is an excuse to pull you over. I've been pulled over to make sure it was GPS. But the GPS at the time was a 7".

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
schan1269 said:
What I would suggest, for legality...

If your present car stereo has an aux in, run the audio from the portable DVD player into it.

That's a great idea. Cheaper too. I don't think the unit in my 2005 Honda Civic has an aux in. I could just buy one that does.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I used to do that back in the day with a computer. My aftermarket radio had standard RCA jacks that dangled off the back.

Our company provided training vids on DVD. Not that you had to watch a guy talking...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
RolandL said:
That's a great idea. Cheaper too. I don't think the unit in my 2005 Honda Civic has an aux in. I could just buy one that does.

Thanks!

You could just buy one of those little transmitters that plugs into the lighter jack and broadcasts audio on an FM frequency. They only cost a few bucks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
RolandL said:

Thanks!
If you have XM radio, Crutchfield sells adapters that piggyback on the XM wiring to provide an aux input without replacing the head unit. I bought one for my 2004 Accord and it's worked great with my iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks