What's new

anyone got the new art of noise sacd? - possible surround sound problem (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just taken delivery of the new Art of Noise 'Daft' SACD, remixed in 5.1. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my system, because it doesn't sound very 'surround' - superb fidelity, massive broad front soundstage, but little action from the back speakers. Given the 'in your face' (or more accurately 'in your back') use of the rear speakers on other surround SACDs I've got (Mike Oldfield, Elton John et al) I wonder if this is deliberate or it's a fault of the disc or (more likely) my system. Anyone got any thoughts on this, please?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andrew, I got that one and RECONSTRUCTED. They're very nice in stereo. I haven't done M/C yet. I was gonna do DAFT soon in M/C. I've only had the pair for 2 days. I'll check back. Actually, I usually favour the less aggressive mixes. I figured their style would be ripe, good fodder for aggressive mixing, maybe not???:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like aggressive mixes for electronic music. I've been waiting for some reviews on this. I'm certainly willing to buy just for the fidelity, of course...I was more concerned that the new mastering might be compressed.

My ancient first-pressing 'Daft' CD has pinholes in it!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I own Daft on CD and to me that kind of music is tailor-made for an aggressive mix. It certainly isn't "gentle" music and just using ambience effects--if that is what is happening here--in the rear channels isn't a good combination.

Also, AON music is practically all special effects and I think would require a total (and very time consuming?) remix job if done in true from-the-original-multitracks multichannel form.

They picked some strange titles to debut AON in surround form: Daft is mostly experimental (& rather irritating) stuff and I only truly like five songs on that 16 track disc (especially "Moments In Love" and "Beat Box", which are one of the few full length songs on that album). And a live album?? IMO their newest album Seduction Of Claude DeBussy, or especially In Visible Silence for us more intense AON fans, would have been much better choices.

LJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

I consider myself to be an 'intense' AoN fan, and I think "Who's Afraid" (with every track represented on "Daft") blows "In Visible Silence" out of the water.

Without Trevor Horn, they still had the sound, but I think they lost some of the soul of the band.

I've even still got all the 12" singles from "In Visible Silence"...I don't think it is a bad album, so don't get me wrong.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andrew, the mix isn't particularly aggressive at all. I liked it alot myself. Several times I shut off the amp that does the front 3 channels just to hear exactly what was in the rears...mostly ambience but occasionally an organ or other instrument would pop up there briefly.

You get the impression the 5 channel mix was made on one of those "autodrive" mixing contraptions we've heard about, maybe? I think if somebody spent alot of time mixing this thang that they would of sent more stuff spinning around the speakers here or there at very least occasionally. I'm supposing they couldn't spend alot of cash to remix this album elaborately. It's proably not destined to be a big seller. The artists might have liked it the way it came out since it was very true to their original work.

I'm not disappointed. It sounds terrific in stereo or M/C to me. Best wishes!:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Ever listen to the 'Sea Change' surround mix? How does the style of this compare to that.

Oh well, I'll be buying regardless. Does the stereo track sound better than the old CDs?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's been awhile since I listened to SEA CHANGE in M/C (on SACD) but I do remember it's far more aggressive. I don't like the M/C mix of SC. When I hear guitars in the rear channels it annoys me. That was frequent with SC.

It seems to sound better than the CD to me. I do have it. I don't know if I'll compare them anytime soon. So many thangs to listen to and watch and so little time.

I do wish AON had been more aggressive. It's the kind of very produced music that if I heard a guitar or voice in the rear channel it wouldn't annoy me. It seems predetermined that you're gonna buy it anyway, eh! :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

If you hate Sea Change m/c, don't listen to the Flaming Lips DVD-A. :)

I totally agree that the kind of music has bearing on how it should be mixed. Electronic music, I like an aggressive mix. Folk or Blues, forget about it.

Yeah, I'm buying anyway. The CD is one of my favorite discs. I probably listened to it weekly back in the late 80s.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've been listening to the album again, and now I'm over the expectation that there's going to be lots of rear speaker action, I confess that I'm enjoying it.

Ah well, at least I know my system isn't at fault.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Didn't know anybody really liked AON here, so now I've got some questions for you:

1) What do y'all think of The Seduction Of Claude Debussy? Too mainstream? Pitchforkmedia.com sure didn't seem to like it (at least they're humorous about it :) ): AON review

2) I was reading a customer review of In Visible Silence and he mentioned that he wished he had the CD with the extended version of the Peter Gunn theme (an entirely extra track)--my version had this but unfortunately mine was never returned after loaning it out. Do they no longer sell that edition with this extra track? Because that was one of my favorite tunes on that disc.

Thanks.

LJ

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lance, I have it on a 12" vinyl single. I also have the 12" single of their DRAGNET film theame. They're sizzlin' hot sounding. I recorded one of the 3 DRAGNET versions onto a minidisc just lately. Maybe ya should seek these out if you's stille spins 'em?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks