What's new

Anyone every attempted a repair on Denon 3300? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Mine has developed a loose Digital coax jack. I looked inside and all the input boards are modularized like computer PCI boards- and the coax input appears to be on a single card all its own. I just don't know how comfortable I am stripping out 2-3 levels of boards to get at the coax card.

But on the other hand, I'm sure a repair location would charge me $250 when I could buy another unit for $350 (or even just get a converter and use the optical input for $70).

Anyone work on these things and can offer tips on how hard this might be?

-Vince

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Vince,

I take it the 3300 is long out of warranty? This kind of thing all depends on your level of comfort. I personally won't hesitate to open things up and make repairs on anything as long as I take good notes of where everything belongs. The worst is resoldering where necessary but that shouldn't be an issue in your case. If you're comfortable going into your computer you should be fine with this.

By loose, do you mean the connection is flaky?...Or just loosely mounted?...Or both?

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Vince...

You may try Denon just for grins. See what they say. I've never had a problem with them servicing my gear, even out of warranty period.

West coast number is 310-974-1010...choose option 2.

Jeremy

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The unit was purchased by me second hand- I have no idea how old it is, nor do I have any idea how long the Denon warranty period lasts. If it's a one year warranty, I'm absolutely SOL- if it's 3 years, I might be close...

You may try Denon just for grins. See what they say. I've never had a problem with them servicing my gear, even out of warranty period.
Interesting- I tried emailing the regional service center listed in Lancaster, PA on the Denon site- but haven't heard back from them. Might try calling Denon, just to see what they say. What do you say when you've called theM? "I have this item and it's broken"-- or do you ask right out about where to send for repair?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I would just tell them the problem exactly as you have described it. This kind of repair is not complicated and would involve virtually no expense in parts. The labor would be the tab. They may work something out just for the goodwill. I would also tell them what you do here.:) It couldn't hurt.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,

Thanks for the advice!

I called Denon today and spoke with Randy in the service department. He checked the serial number and the date of manufacture is Sept 99- so I'm outside of the 2 year warranty on the unti. However, Randy said that since it sounds like a minor repair, that they will go ahead and handle it under warranty.

Great!

So, all I have to do is cover the shipping to them and they'll handle it.

Very cool.

Well, I'm off to box up the unit. Thanks again for the tip!

-Vince

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Might try calling Denon, just to see what they say. What do you say when you've called theM? "I have this item and it's broken"-- or do you ask right out about where to send for repair?"

I guess I'm a bit late answering your question, but as you see...their tech support is generally pretty good about their product servicing. I've never had a problem and I've never paid a dime for service, even outside of warranty on Denon products. It mistifies me each time someone complains about their service. In fact, with all of the e-tailer and non-authorized retailer warnings, Denon is allowing EVERY 5800 purchased the upgrade...regardless of the vendor purchased from. It is not very often that you see someone with a Denon product bitching about it not getting fixed.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Some of the bigger companies...Sony, Panasonic, etc. should take notice. I also like the fact that it's relatively easy to get someone on the phone from tech support that knows the product and can make a decision quickly.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks