What's new

Anyone else subscribing to Land of the Giants? (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I started subscribing to Columbia House Library's "Land of the Giants" dvd. There are 3 hour long episodes per disc. (Occasionally there are 4 per disc.) This is better than vhs when they only put 2 hours on a tape. Also includes production notes and cast bio. Anyone else subscribing? Is this a stupid move on my part? While I'm happy with the discs, I'm worried that I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on these dvds, and then have them come out later in a season set form in stores for $50. On the other hand, there are some people on eBay shelling out a lot more for these dvds (sometimes $50-60 bucks for a single disc). You would think Columbia House would have exclusive rights but some of their other shows like I Love Lucy, Good Times, Hogans Heroes, etc. also became available in stores on dvd.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
sometimes i think they use Columbia House for a testing ground to see how they sell for the high price then later re-release them in stores at a much lower price.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

well, if they had come out with Kolchak or Night Gallery (they even solicited for the NG dvd series before they dropped it), i would subscribe.
yeah its expensive, but Universal has a pretty bad track record as far as even releasing material pre-'80s goes.

they just don't seem to have any interest in these series unless they have a remake to promote or someone is on trial.
-Where's Rockford?
-Where's Columbo?
-Where's a 1/2 dozen others?

i wish i could subscribe to some of these.

unless there is a movie getting produced in the next 6 months, i would expect LOTG would not be high on the priority list for TV series releases.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I'm holding off. Since Lost in Space is doing well I expect Fox will get to the other Irwin Allen shows at some point. Columbia House is still doing business as if it were 1985 with 3 episodes for $25 with the shipping. People need to show some restaint and not give in to them. Stop buying at their outrageous prices and they will change their business mode.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I must echo the sentiments of Universal's abysmal track record with classic shows in their vault. Thank goodness they did right by "Battlestar Galactica" but alas it took the presence of that wretched remake to bring that about. Of their great 70s cop shows, we only have season 1 of "Baretta" which came out solely to exploit the Robert Blake murder trial while superior fare like "Columbo", "Kojak" etc. remain hidden from view.

Universal is starting to do better in their film releases, but they have a LOT of catching up to do TV wise.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The government just okayed the NBC/Universal merger, so the deal's long-awaited consumation should happen within the next few weeks. Once all the t's are crossed and the i's are all dotted, then I would hope Universal's overall output will go up drastically. As it is, they have been pretty prolific - moreso than I expected, anyway! - during the waiting period.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I just did a search on the Columbia House website for "Land of the Giants" and nothing comes up. I contacted Columbia House customer service and they couldn't find it in their inventory. Can someone please post a link to the series or a catalog number or something showing where and how to order the show. I'm particularly interested in the pilot titled "The Crash." Thanks!

Jeff

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
columbia house dvd classics

I just went to the website and its under the dvd TV classics. Maybe the operator is unfamiliar with "Land of the Giants" and thought it was a movie. I don't know. Hope this link works.
The first 8 volumes cover season 1. The last dvd I got was number 9 and it begins season 2. I'm really enjoying the series. This was a blind buy for me because I never watched it growing up, but I was familiar with Irwin Allen's movies and Lost in Space, so I figured I would like this series, and I was not disappointed.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for the link! I just subscribed to the series. I saw the show when I was a kid and loved it. I loved the special effects and music that John Williams composed for the pilot. I can't wait for Lost In Space season 2 and (hopefully) season 3. Perhaps some day they will release Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Time Tunnel!

Jeff

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I don't think your estimate is 100% correct. I think part of the reason Columbia House's prices are so high (actually, they recently lowered their prices on the one DVD series I subscribe to, The Carol Burnett Show, from $25 to about $20) is a combination of licence fee and the fact that they will be selling to a much smaller customer base than a company like Universal.

The reason the big companies can charge around $50 for an entire season, while Columbia charges about $20 per disc, is that the big companies stand to make more sales, as the discs will be available in a wide array of markets (from online sellers like Amazon to your local Best Buy). Columbia House, on the other hand, has to depend on subscribers.

So, what I would say is, if you want it now, go ahead and subscribe. If you feel you can wait, then wait. That's what I'm doing with Alien Nation. Though I'd love to have it on DVD (I'm still watching my off-air 1990 Fox recordings), I have a feeling this has a decent chance of getting a mainstream release, so I am choosing to wait on this one.

All that said, I feel Columbia is providing a good service on some of their "exclusive" shows. Some shows, like the unedited Carol Burnett Show episodes, are highly unlikely to get a general release, due to music issues in the case of this series. And, if you're unlike me, and want your Alien Nation right now, you can have it.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Since I started this thread last month, I have had a change of heart, and no longer feel worried that I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on these dvds, and then have them come out later in a season set form in stores for $50.

Since I learned that Fox is dissapointed with the sales of Irwin Allen's other series, Lost in Space, it seems like the chances of Land of the Giants getting a season set release are slimmer now. Also, it seems Fox is planning on releasing the second season of Lost in Space in two seperate volumes, so they will probably do that with Land of the Giants if they ever do decide to release it.

Also, as I posted earlier, I'm already starting the second season of Giants, while LIS fans are still waiting for season 2.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Columia House just removed Land of the Giants as well as Rawhide and Gunsmoke from their ordering page. So hopefully this means these are coming soon as season sets.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Columbia House has not removed Land of the Giants from their ordering page. It's still there. See link above under post #9.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes it still shows up on your link but if you try to order it you will get a "Sorry this page cannot be found". You will then be redirected to a new page where Land of the Giants, Gunsmoke, Rawhide and Have Gun, Will Travel are all missing.
Have Gun, Will Travel was just released as a season set other shows in the past have been stopped just before a season set was announced too. So this would mean that Gunsmoke, Land of the Giants and Rawhide are either in the works as season sets or are under strong consideration by the studio.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Sorry you're having trouble. It worked for me, and another member posted above that he ordered it a few days ago. Also, I noticed that the other titles you mentioned: Gunsmoke, Rawhide, and Have Gun, Will Travel, are still available. I added them to my cart and they showed up. Try this link

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I decided to cancel my subscription membership to Columbia House's "Land of the Giants" video library after receiving my 10th dvd disc in the series. The reasons are the prices, plus the fact that I'm falling behind in my viewing schedule. I've only watched about seven of the dvds so far. There are so many of my favorite tv shows coming out on dvd in season sets that I haven't had the time to watch them all.

However, a few years ago when I cancelled my subscription to "I Dream of Jeannie", Columbia House gave me a second chance offer. I think it was pick 2 free videos if I continue the subscription. I don't know if they still do it, but it will be tempting, and I'll feel like I'm getting more for my money.

Now, listen to this.... In the meantime, I saw a thread over at dvdtalk, that Columbia House is now offering boxed sets. Pick out two TV boxed sets and pay $9.95 (plus tax, no shipping). You are then obligated to purchase two more DVDs (these can be regular movies --they don't need to be sets) at $19.95 or above.

Here is the link

DVD Club TV Edition

I picked the two most expensive sets that I was interested in:

Absolutley Fabulous:Complete Series
Monkees Season 1

Both sets retail for about $70.00 each,
so now all I have to do is buy 2 more dvds starting from $19.99 within the year, and they don't even have to be season sets!. Not a bad deal, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks