What's new

Anyone else dislike -all- DVD Boxes? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. I want the keepcase to be the standard holder for DVDs. It is too hard to read the spine with thinpaks. Also get rid of digipaks & snappers! :angry:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I hear ya. I'm a film student in a school loaded with film and other media students, so each of our rooms looks almost like a mini Best Buy. My dorm room was small enough that in my freshman year, one entire wall was lined either with wire DVD racks, or (when I ran out of space), DVDs stacked in neat piles on the floor. Throw in the TV, VCR, DVD player, original Nintendo (which sadly bit the dust... anyone got a spare they're not using?), a new computer, mini-DV camera, textbooks, clothes...

My second year I tried not to make that mistake again, and against my better judgment, threw all of my DVDs into large binders. It actually wasn't too bad - I at least had some standing room then.

Having your own apartment is much better, and even now, I either need to somehow reduce the size of my collection (using thinpaks or whatever) or buy another shelving unit.

With packaging like digipacks, I don't mind that it's taking up space. They're really nice packages, in my mind they're the closest thing to the look of a nice book collection. Snappers are fine, they fit the shelf and I haven't had anything damaged in a snapper, so I have no problem with them. Keepcases are fine too, although I wish they had been designed thinner from the start. It's stuff like the Disney Treasures tins that I could do without. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful packages, but they take up space. I much prefer when studios use the single size keepcase with two discs inside than when they use the double keepcase.

In the end, though, different kinds of packaging are fine, as long as they come close to conforming to a standard size, so everything can get on the same shelf.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I would never throw away the cases and more importantly the artwork of my DVDs. I have 400 right now, exactly, according to DVD Profiler, which is in many cases well below what some here have, and they all fill a single big bookcase. It doesn't take up very much space and I like the look of it. And it impresses people :D Plus I wouldn't dream of throwing away all that beautiful Criterion artwork!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The only problem here is, books don't usually waste as much space as DVD's do. MANY DVD's have proven that you can fit more than one DVD in a package without having to use tons of space.

The only way the book comparison would work, is if some book publishers started producing books with 5" thick covers. There is no reason why a 100 page book should be 12" thick when there are plenty of 100 page books that are under 1" ;)

Just like there should be no way that a 4 disc DVD set (i.e Indiana Jones) should be 2.5" wide when another 4 disc set (i.e. LOTR) is under 1.5" wide.

I too would love to convert my DVD's to smaller packaging...I HATE the fact that "From the Earth to the Moon" is 2" wide and there is absolutely no writing on the spine! :eek: This set wastes too much space. Unfortunately, I'm the type that can't bear to throw away the original cases, so I find it senseless to replace them for thin packs. The main reason is, I don't have any storage room in my small apartment, so if I replaced all my DVD's with thin packs, I'd save DVD shelf room, but I'd have the need for a TON of storage for all the discarded cases. :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to get OT for a side conversation, but this may pertain to the discussion (or just make you think "Hmmm?")

The Indiana Jones Trilogy packaging:
Now that I think about it, if I were involved in the packaging discussions, I'd have a serious complaint about the way they packaged it...for 2 reasons:

1.) (Obviously) the width issue which makes a 4 disc set 2.5" wide
and
2.) Considering they didn't sell these movies individually (i.e. making people buy all 3), the self contained movie packaging makes it easier to sell individual copies of the movie on places like eBay. This would seem like something the studio wouldn't want.

I mean, if they had packaged the discs like the Lord of the Rings set, it would surely make it more difficult to sell individual movies. (or at least it would make more work for the seller to repackage the discs to make the offer more attractive to the perspective buyer)

just something to think about

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
MarkHastings:

I would not be surprised if the packaging was originally designed with the intention of selling all of them individually as well as in a box set. I mean, not only do we have a keepcase for each movie, but we also have full labels and technical specs on each one of them which would make individual sale easy. Somewhere along the line the plan to sell them individually was dropped, and they did not redesign the packaging.

Now I don't have a problem with the Indiana Jones Packaging. I rather like the eclectic look on my shelf, with so many different types of colourful boxes, even if I would have done things much differently myself. For instance I do not like having all of the extras on a separate disc, it seems wasteful to me, expecially considering how basic the extras are. I also would have used packagin similar to Shogun (a Paramount release done perfectly, IMO).

FredK

Second Unit

Absolutely, that was a tough case to put away because it's so nice (and odd-count sets screw up binder organization!).

To comment on snappers, I have no problem with the cases except that when stored, sliding a snapper between 2 other snappers is a pain. Why create a case that can't be stored with a bunch of itself?!

Bolivar G

Second Unit
At First I would love the big box sets cuss they looked cool to display. But now that my collection is nearing 400 DVD's, im really starting to hate all the bulky stuff now. I have no more room for my dvd's!! I have 2 shelf systems full and now are just starting to stack on the floor. I hate how much room sets take up that come with a keepcase for every single disc. I like how the 9 disc alien set dont take up much room. Image how big the alien quad would be in 9 keepcases!! Sheshes

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Question: What are these CD Longboxes that were being discussed on the previous page? I have never heard of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

They were big, long, cardboard boxes that CDs were packaged in. You'd have the sealed jewel case, as is normal today, but outside of that, you'd have a thin piece of cardboard wrapped around the jewel case, the width of a jewel case and about twelve inches long. If you ever happen to invent a time machine, go back to 1986 and you'll see what this was all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks