What's new

Anyone else dislike -all- DVD Boxes? (1 Viewer)

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler
So does anyone know a good place to buy thinpaks in bulk? I'm considering converting my collection (at least the keepcases)...

FredK

Second Unit
I was 100 thinpaks into converting my collection when I realized "WTF?!" and immediately bought nice, cheap, small, protective cases and dropped all 450 of my DVD's into them.

I love case presentation, artwork, etc. but it's not worth the space or storage... same for cd's etc. If ripping the cover off a book reduced my cubic storage req's by 90%+ I'd do it in an instant.

I used to be in the perfect beautiful presented packaging school, but I realized media isn't art and shouldn't make my walls look like a studio. It also saves me the time in converting cases or caring whether something is delivered in a snapper or defective metal slipcase...

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well I'm a big fan of the cases. I just enjoy browsing through them when I'm in the mood to watch something. I hate flipping through my big CD wallets when I'm looking for something to listed to and all of my music on my PC is even more of a pain. I understand why some would find them irritating, but that's hardly a reason to banish tham, especially in favor of jewel cases, cd wallets, and those terrible "thincases" like the Family Guy season DVDs come in.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I like pretty much every kind of case except for snappers and the awkward Total Recall Limited edition type cases.

Brad M

Second Unit
I've been thinking about putting my discs into a folder of some sort. For those of you with the Best Buy bonus disc that came with Indiana Jones, I've thought about buying a bunch of them and moving my collection into that. I just have not made up my mind as to which I'm going to do. If anyone knows of anyplace online that sells either of those items could you post a link? Thanks!

Brian E

Screenwriter
I was looking at the Case Logic binder mentioned in this thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=175858

Problem was that even with the extra inserts each case only held 50 disc so I'd need a bunch. At $40 each (w/extra inserts) it's just to much cash.

While I don't really have any problems with the packaging I have found that my collection is starting to take up more space than I'd like & I don't expect my collection to stop growing anytime soon.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
As an advertising/design guy, I love packaging. The more elaborate the better (Band of Brothers and Pearl Harbor being good examples). The only requirement I have is that they have to fit nicely alongside my other discs on my shelf. I'm not a fan of the Spidey or Scareface boxes.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

I disagree about medai not being a from of art, but how does it make your walls look like a studio? I personally find shelves filled with books and dvds, and music and all my favourite treasures I have collected over the years to be very important. I think it is an important reflection of my personality, and I like people who come into my home to be able to catch a glimpse. Sure I have seen some rather trashy looking "media rooms", but done right..;. *sigh*.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

I've come to accept snappers, even if they are not my favourite. I do remeber the first time I purchasd a movie in a snapper it took my 10 minutes to figure out how to close it again..

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

I am not in advertising, but I am a web designer, and an artist, and I loved my packaging. If a movie comes in fancy packaging with nice cover art, I will often buy it even if I don't like the movie that much, or haven't seen it.

Occasionally there will be a package that comes along that goes for form over function, like the plastic universal ultimate editions (legend), which I am not a huge fan of, but I deal.

I have a particular soft spot for commercial art. I guess I like a very modern look to my home, but with retro components, I love vintage (or reproduction) movie posters.

FredK

Second Unit

Eh, the author has no control over the cover anyway so I'm not feeling bad for it. I could see it being disrespectful to property though - anyway keeping dvd and cd cases out of the way is important to me.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

I suppose it could get out of hand if you find yourself needing to cram more sheleves in that were not the original part of the plan. I have a tendacy to forget that many people here have hundreds or even thousands of dvds/laserdiscs etc. It's easy for me to forget that because I am so selective in what I buy, be it books, DVD or whatever, if i don't know that I am going to watch or read it more than twice, i dont buy it. As a result every bok, cd, dvd that i own fits on the shelving that i planned the room around.

The again, I am a big fan of the medai room/library concept, and what is current just a portion of a room will one day have its own special place.

FredK

Second Unit

That would make things easier, but unfortunately for me it's in the living room or not for now! So I try to keep them hidden away in binders.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm probably the only one willing to admit it, but I have absolutely no problem with the snapper cases - I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. I've never once gotten a DVD that was damaged by a snapper case, while I have gotten DVDs that have been damaged in keepcases.

I'll go for pretty much anything except packaging that won't fit on my shelf, bulky, needlessly large special packaging.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I am actually with you Josh. The snapper is certainly my LEAST favourite type of packaging, because I find that they are a little stubborn to close sometimes. But all in all I don't mind them that much.

I am a little disapointed with the Indiana Jones Packaging though. While I am sure there are a lot of people thankful to have individual keep cases, I personally would have prefered a more compact (and unique) style of packaging similar to the Extended Lord of the Rings, Shogun, etc. I DO prefer it to the Back to the future packagin, however.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

This describes me right now in fact, with more computer equipment in my room than your typical college student, and all the electronics a couple DVD players a Xbox and a 32 inch TV the last thing I have room for is a lot of DVD packages. I like a lot of them ok, I love the thin packs of Family Guy and Dick Van Dyke, but when I buy a DVD at school it goes in to 1 of currently 4 different binders, Live Action, Animation, Television, or Wrestling. The packaging goes in to a drawer and waits for me to gather it up and take it home on 1 of my trips.

I actually am 1 that doesn't have a real beef with snappers. Not my favorite case, but I've had more lose discs and stuff with the keep cases than the snappers.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I agree sortof. Since they've started abondoning the Inserts it makes little sense to keep using the huge Alpha Boxes. I've cxonverted most of my Collection to the thinpaks I wish this would become the norm for cases. If the Binders you use could be made to not scratch the disks I'd consider them as well. My only other option would be thin Jeweal cases and some sort of pull out drawers to store them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks