Anyone else dislike -all- DVD Boxes?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I campaigned on this long ago, and lost.. but still, I have to admit: I may be one of the few people on the HTF who finds the bulky "box" material of DVDs to be a gigantic waste; probably the first thing I end up doing is shucking the box and putting DVDs into 200/500 disc sorters and packing away the boxes, except for collectors editions.

After I hit a couple hundred DVDs, I realized how foolish the boxes were and what landfill bait they really were; and anymore, I'm down to 9 200disc carrying cases; neatly defined by what's in them (Star Trek; General SciFi; Kids; Classics; Comedies; Dramas; TV Series; Action; Excercise/Misc/DVD-R)

I went through my basement over the weekend and had stacks of cardboard boxes filled with the damn cases; and I guess I will keep them for now, but it seems as though there would be a better way to use that material if it's "really" important (in most cases, the only thing that comes in the box is an ad or coupons; in others nothing)

*shrug*

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I like thin boxsets such as Godfather and Back to the Future; however, the Indiana Jones boxset is much too wide for just four discs. I really wish they would have done a different kind of packaging other than keepcases for the four discs.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

No. I prefer the keepcase to all other forms of DVD packaging.

4. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I keep the dvds and cases in the boxes they come in. everything stays....nothing is thrown away. I even keep the security sticker strips, wad them up in a ball and let the cats have at it.

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I wish all releases came in THINpaks, but I wouldn't want to get rid of the cases. I love the cover art and tangibleness.

6. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

To me, your method would be like taking a nice hardback book and ripping off the cover, the table of contents, and all the footnotes, then storing it in a different location. I don't find the cases wasteful at all, and would never store my discs in carrying cases.

7. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I don't like buying box sets ala Die Hard Trilogy or Indiana Jones boxset when there's talks of a fourth movie which will undoubtedly be released on DVD. Inconsistency in appearance in my collection bugs the hell out of me.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Brian, I don't know, it's hard for me to judge it that way; I like to think of the cases more as forced advertisement and a gigantic waste of plastic.. somewhat like the old CD Longboxes you used to see until people realized those were a waste. *shrug*

I get it for box sets, etc. special editions, etc... but I can't think of anything I gained from say, the box to _Gross Point Blanke_

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I use carrying cases when I'm going to be traveling with a few discs, and I also used them when I lived in a dorm room and space was limited - I figured either I could live in the dorm, or all of my DVD cases could live in the dorm and I could live in the hallway.

I do prefer smaller vs. larger DVD packaging - the new thinpaks seem like a good idea, and certainly, trying to keep multidisc sets in as small a packaging as possible is a good idea. (I much prefer, for example, Paramount's packaging of The Honeymooners or The Godfather Collection to their wasteful and space consuming packaging for Indiana Jones.)

Anyone here ever try converting regular keepcases to thinpaks? I was thinking about doing that with my Twilight Zone collection - I don't necessarily want to put them in multi-cases (even though the custom art designed by HTF members is *really* nice), but I don't know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to try to fit keepcase size cover art into thinpaks. Anyone tried this?

10. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Another thing I forgot to mention, with box sets like Spider-Man Limited Edition or Scarface Collector's Edition, what do most of you do - put them alongside other dvds in your collection or remove it from the outer case then put it on your shelf? It really irks me that if I put the huge ass cases on the shelf they consume about 20 dvd spots (Wasteful) but if I remove the dvds, I'm likely to misplace the collector's cases.

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

12. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

You're not the only one. I've ranted about dvd packaging before, either here or on another forum. They are wasteful and poorly designed (sometimes more difficult than they should be to remove, other times shaking loose).

I have boxes of dvd boxes that I'd like to get rid of. I expect that as more people amass collections of cheaper dvd's, and they lose some of their specialness (as objects), everyone will come to their senses and the packaging will change. Thin jewel boxes or sleeves are the way to go. The thinpacks are still unecessarily large.

The book analogy doesn't work, besides... rows of book spines along a wall never look as ghastly as rows of shiny plastic dvd cases. (Mine are all sleeved and boxed on one shelf.)

13. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I don't consider them advertising because you already bought the movie anyway... are they trying to convince you to buy another copy?

I kind of like having the cases on a shelf, it really helps me pick when I want to watch a certain movie if I pick the case up and give it a little looksy. [​IMG]

I do think there should be a few designs for DVD cases. For Example, the ALIEN QUADRILOGY sticks out further than the other multi-disc sets in my collection, but it's shorter....so it just looks weird... I don't like that.

14. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

it's not so much that i hate all dvd boxes, since i am looking into a different means of storage, but more that i wish there was a standard. i think all dvds should be in the exact same cases. no band of brothers tin, no matrix snapper, and no disney white, blue, pink, whatever, i think they should all be the same. all my box sets are stripped of their box and re-shelved individually. i'm currently looking for some nice keepcases.

eric

15. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

I LOVE the different cases. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to get different coloured cases (like the Austin Powers re-releases). I like big boxsets, they look "nice" in the collection and its great to be able to browse through DVDs and take a looksee to figure out what you want to watch on that particular day. The only cases that personally irritate me (and the rest of the world population it seems) is the snappers. They are annoying. I think some people are just too anal about things (no offense to anyone of course). Space became an issue so I threw out the little breakfast table and chairs and store rubbermaid boxes there full of DVDs stacked on top of each other (the ones i have watched and don't plan on rewatching anytime soon) and the new ones and old standbys get displayed along the wall. It works. =) But then again I have a smaller collection than alot of you - just over 500.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well I personally love My Cosmos box set and couldn't imagine what a huge chunk of my rack space would have been consumed if they had sold this in individual cases.

17. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

As I've stated before, I've never once sat down and watched a package. I wish that everything shipped in thinpacks.

- Walter.

18. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

When CDs came about the purpose of the longbox did serve more than just advertising.

1. It was an (albeit inadequate) theft protection.
    2. It allowed stores to put off having to totally re-fixture all their stores. The long boxes were 12inches tall the same as LP so they could use their existing fixtures and just make small cost effective upgrades like dividing the bin in half or what have you.

The labels were smart in that regard because it would be a hard sell to merchants if in order to display these new CDs they would have to spend thousands of dollars to do so. In 1993 or so, CDs were the norm and since there was a proliferation of security companies (Alpha, Checkpoint etc) that sold long box sized security devices the labels started to do away with the box. There was a period of like a year where the CD would be shrink wrapped inside the long box and there was a little yellow and red diamond on the front to tell retailers that it was shrinked inside.

I am still amazed that they even started source tagging CDs. That had been on the table for years and years and I was shocked when they finally accomplished that!

--Ian

19. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Nope. I consider the packaging part of the fun of DVDs, and even though I am not fan of Snapper cases, all of my DVDs stay in their original packaging and are displayed proudly on my shelves right next to my book collection. I especially like any DVD that comes in fancy or uique packaging, like Boogie Night SE, or the extended editions of LoTR.

20. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al

Note only do I find this funny, but it pretty much sums it up for me too.

I just got Scorcese's The Blues, and it has these nifty *really* thin cases. Is this what I saw being refered to as "thinpaks" in this thread? (I'm always two steps behind.)

If they did away with cases I'd miss them for the "artwork" in the same way I miss the larger albums since CDs.