What's new

Anyone connect their DirecTV tuner right to the receiver via S-Video? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This is what I'm considering doing. I have DirecTV (never had it before..always cable).

The Hughes DirecTV reciever happens to have an S-Video and RCA audio outputs. :)

I'm planning on going out of those inputs right into the inputs on my 3803. In theory, this would provide a way better picture than taking the antenna out from the DTV right into the TV itself.

Anyone do this?

Results?

ps
I'm asking b/c my TV isn't here yet...I have 10 days to mull it over. ;)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, I do. Since both my sat. receiver and dvd player have s-video outputs, it's easier to do the switching between the two.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well if you took the antennae out and fed it into your TV then yes you would get better picture but if you ran it using Svideo then its up to you which way you want to go. Either way would suffice. The going thru your receiver part just adds another cable to the mix but it is a bit simplier.

Regardless if you have the Denon in the mix or not, you can go direct to your TV via S video(assuming it has the inputs). It's a matter of choice really and you really couldn't go wrong either way.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Shane. The 3803 does upconversion, so I'm planning on having one set of wires running from the 3803 to the TV and all the inpute going into the 3803.

My Sony TV only has S-Video in; no component. :frowning: So that's what I'll be using.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The pic and sound are just fine.
I have a DD sat. receiver, but don't subscribe to any movie channels that broadcast in DD. I have rented a couple of PPV movies that were DD. They looked and sounded great.
When they do free preview weekends of Starz, Showtime or HBO, I see some movies in DD then too. Otherwise, everything is PLll, which sounds good also.
Enjoy your DirecTv.......before long you'll wonder why you didn't get it a long time ago....... :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ed,

I hope you're right about "enjoying DirecTV." I'm a lifelong cable TV guy; I've heard nothing but horror stories about satellite TV.

So far, so good though. I just hope it doesn't get all fuzzy or go uot completely every time it rains. :eek:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It shouldn't go out every time it rains. It's when there's really bad, heavy clouds that blocks the signal sometimes. I've been using DirecTv for about 5-6 yrs., and in that time, have had outage from bad weather maybe 5-6 times, and only for a few mins. each time. I think snow clouds are worse than rain clouds.............
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks