What's new

Anybody have one of the new Aragon amps? (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I was wondering if anybody has one of the new Aragon Multi-Channel amps. I have seen the 200x5 model(the 2005) go for around $1200 on ebay brand new. I was under the impression that Aragon amps were mostly "high end" usually costing $2000 or more for their multi-channel amps. Are these new models as good as some of their previous models? Aragon owners(and anyone else with Aragon experience), I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks In Advance,
Dalton

Kevin T

Screenwriter
if i'm not mistaken, the only new aragon amps with the same lineage as their previous "high-end" predecessors are the 8008mkII and the paladium 1k. all the other amps are equivalent to mondial's acurus brand. granted, i have not heard any of their new amps...but as a aragon and ex-acurus owner, the specs on their new amps (2002, 2005, 2007, 3002, and 3005) are roughly the same as their acurus counterparts.

kevin t

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks Kevin,
I would be curious to hear if anyone has done any comparison of the new amps to the older Aragon amps. Sounds like the older ones would be a better choice.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
the older ones are definitely a better value (choice is subjective and thus up to the actually buyer) because you can get a used aragon 8008bb for around $1200-$1500 versus the $3000 retail for the new 8008mkII. i got my aragon 8008x3b and 8008bb for less than retail on the 8008bb alone!

kevin t

Sankar

Second Unit
If weight is any indicator, then consider the following:
Aragon 8008x5 : 107 lbs
Acurus A200x5 : 50 lbs
Aragon 2005 : 46 lbs
Aragon 2007 : 49 lbs
Aragon 8008x3 : 68 lbs
:)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Dalton,

I have not compared the older amps to the next generation products that Aragon/Klipsch produce. I do own the Aragon 8002/2 X 125 @ 8 ohms that is powering my fronts for stereo listening. It does a marvelous job with the combination of components I own.

I have heard through the grapevine that the 8008x3b - 200 per channel @ 8 ohms, Brand New with warranty will be available on ubid.com in the next few weeks.

A lot of the older/new Aragaon line amps that are on ebay, Audiogon, etc. were purchased on ubid when Aragon/Mondial was moving their excess inventory. I know they had the 3 and 2 channels channels on there.

As Kevin states, "The older ones are definitely a better value (choice is subjective and thus up to the actually buyer) because you can get a used aragon 8008bb for around $1200-$1500 versus the $3000 retail for the new 8008mkII."

The new line of Aragaon's look really cool with the latest design. However,if they are similar in output and I suspect they are, then saving a few thousand dollars IMHO is well worth sacrificing appearance/cosmetics.

Try audioreview.com for some reviews on all these older model amps. They are well received by the writers there.

Good luck,
Charles

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks guys. Chas, what kind of speakers are you running with the 8002? I really only need a 2 ch. amp because i am happy with my Carver 705ax 5 ch. amp. I could power the mains with the 8002 and use the Carver to power the rest.
Thanks for any info.

Take care,
Dalton

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Dalton,

I own Paradigm speakers at the moment. I had Studio 20's for fronts and it was like night and day for ME when I connected them to the Studio's. I used a Sony STR DA-777ES 5 x 125 to power them initally. I then went to the Aragon 8002 as a seperate amp using the pre-outs on the Sony.

I then took the 20's and a PDR-10 sub and moved them into my computer room. Then I picked up a Parasound 855A off of Ubid (309 plus 52 for shipping) to drive them in my computer room using passive-biamping. They sound really great with this setup too.

I then purchased Paradigm Monitor 90P's ver 2 for mains. CC350 and mini monitors for rears. I am limited with space in this room, so I needed a speaker with a powered sub/driver. I also wanted to match my other Paradigms without having to purchase new speakers all the way around. Eventually in time, I will upgrade to a high end speaker like Dynaudio.

Even though the amp is only powering the tweeter and the midrange driver in this speaker, there is a huge difference in sound stage and clarity. As the amp is breaking in, (another hot topic here) the sound is warmer and much better.

If you are interested in a 2 channel Aragaon, (there are other competitors of course) email me here and I can provide someone who has these new, unopened. He is a reputable seller and was a pleasure to deal with. Audiogon.com is where I bought the 8002.

Some of the reviews I've read about the 8002, written by people with far more expertise then me, write that this amp sounds better then the 8008 series and is conservativly rated at 125 x 2. Again, I have no experience in this area. Only what I've read.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will provide great feedback as this site is always a pleasure to read and learn about the world of audio.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Some of the reviews I've read about the 8002, written by people with far more expertise then me, write that this amp sounds better then the 8008 series and is conservativly rated at 125 x 2. Again, I have no experience in this area. Only what I've read.
At one time I owned both the 8002 and 8008x3. I compared both of them in 2 channel and the 8008 sounded better to me.
I actually traded the 8002 and some cash for an 8008BB. The 8008 series runs class A for the first 25 watts, the 8002 does not. I have spoken with Paul Rosenburg at Mondial Designs several times and he was always corteous and willing to answer all of my questions. If you're considering the new Aragon line, I would venture to say you will not be disappointed, however the older Aragon 8008 series is definitely(on paper)a better buy, IMO. :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Frank,

What did you find was the major difference between the 8002, 8008X3 and the 8008 SOUNDWISE if you can remember what your ears told you?

Thanks for your feedback..
Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks