How much Sub will it take to give me some bass?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_T, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

First let me tell you about my room. I have a decent size room 12x25 with 9ft. ceilings. The speakers I have are Paradigm Studio 100's, and am using a Anthem MCA5 amp. With these speakers alone there is hardly any bass. I think a big part of the problem is that at the back side of my room I have a door that is 5ft wide and opens to the rest of the house and cannot be closed off!! I was hoping somebody could give me some insight on what kind of sub. if any is going to fit my needs to give me some good bass. I was looking at the SVS and would love to get one of these, but don't know if they will do, and also am on somewhat of a budget at this time. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated.
    p.s. Has anybody heard anything on the group purchase that was mentioned about two weeks ago. I am getting anxious for a new pre. and want to know about the Aragon piece that was mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Your room size really doesn't seem that big, I'm sure an SVS could handle it quite well.
    If your not sure you may want to look into a DIY Sonosub, check out THIS Sonosub built by Patrick Sun, I'm sure this baby would do the job!! It's the huge cylinder that looks like a big lifesaver roll.
    Patrick I hope you don't mind that I provided a link to your pics.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 29, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Brandon, with 2500-3000 cu-ft and large openings to other areas of the home...you'll need some woofage to get the type of hair raising bass I think you may be after. The SPL1200 at onecall for $750 is a great deal right now as is the

4. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Thanks guys for the quick response. Yes, I am using a DD rec. I definatly want to get a SVS when the budget allows. I like to support fellow small business owneres. Although, it doesn't sound like you will be small at all in the near future Tom. I do like to listen to it at reference levels when I can. I have one neighbor that I like and don't want to upset, the other one I could care less about as he plays his guitar so loud it rattles the pictures on my wall. I will investigate the cost of your suggestion. Thanks again,
    Brandon

5. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

My living room opens into the kitchen area. Measurements for that area is 20 x 30 x 10. Plus its got smaller openings into a hallway, dining room, and formal living room. My single 25-31PC rocks the place. And its not even corner loaded. Unbelievable!