What's new

Any Waxwings Fans Here? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
The Waxwings released one of my favorite albums in a number of years back in 2000...entitled "Low To The Ground". Just a great retro-sounding album chock full of great tunes, with perhaps the best opening and closing tunes I have ever heard on any album. This was the bands debut album and what a debut it was. The bar was set incredibly high with their initial release. Seriously, this album has become one of my all-time favorites. If you enjoy great pop/rock music you should definitely check this one out.

The Waxwings have just released a new album, In The Shadow Of The Waxwings, and I must say upon first few listens it doesn't measure up to their debut. But how could it? There was no way they could have topped that one. It is still a fairly good album, with some great tunes. It is just not the fantastic experience "Low To The Ground" is from beginning to glorious end. But I have a feeling it is going to grow on me. It has a much more raw sound, with some of the vocals somewhat distorted and the harmonies mixed too far in the background at times. I suppose they were going for a different sound here, at the same time keeping many of the same elements of their debut. I hate to use the word but it is more "experimental" in sound. At times it seems the recording was not up to par, with vocals mixed too low and some of the instrumentation not very clear in the mix. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but it is a bit curious...this recording. I look forward to continuing to listen to "In The Shadow Of The Waxwings" and letting it sink in.

But those unfamiliar with the band and think it may be something you may like by all means pick up a copy of "Low To The Ground"...maybe one of the best albums you've never heard.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for this news! Thanks for the update, Brian. Low To The Groud is a pop masterpiece, and I never tire of listening to it. I hope at least some of that magic comes through on this new one.

Jon

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Jon--Hey! I'm not the only one! Man, it is a shame that more folks haven't heard "Low To The Ground" huh? Just an incredible album. I have listened to the new album about 8-10 times now, and while it doesn't measure up to their debut it is still a good album. Lets face it...there was no way in hell they were going to be able to measure up to "Low To The Ground". That album is just...magical. A group of musicians coming together and recording something close to a pop/rock...well...as you say Jon...masterpiece. I don't believe that is too strong a word to use here.
"Shadow Of" IS growing on me with each listen. It is just not the all out assault on the senses that LTTG is. It is more spotty with a more raw sound, which is what I guess they were going for. They rock out more on this one. There is a couple of songs that comes very close to what they laid down on LTTG...track 3 ("Look Down Darkly")is right up there and could have been included on that album and fit right in. A very good tune. Track 6 ("Almost All Day") is very good as well. But I must say the last track is a disappointment after the awesome last track "It Comes In Waves" from LTTG.
I don't want to dissuade you from getting the album...by all means get it. Just go in knowing that they were going to have a heck of a time measuring up to their debut...and you'll be OK. I would like to hear your impressions of it once you get it and have listened to it a few times. So try amd post back.
Oh...if you haven't already Jon...you must get a couple of albums:
Brendan Benson - Lapalco
Candy Butchers - Play With Your Head
Two fantastic albums...Both in the same league as "Low To The Ground" in my opinion.
NP: The Waxwings - Shadow Of The Waxwings (yep..it is growing on me!):)

Ed E Lee

Agent
Hey Brian,

Have you hooked up with the Audities group on Yahoo yet? They always have recommendations for stuff like that.

Ed

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Anyone interested can read reviews I posted (as well as others for "Low To The Ground") on Amazon.com for The Waxwings albums:
Low To The Ground
Shadow Of The Waxwings
The review for "Shadow Of" probably won't show up for a few days as I just posted that review tonight.
If you clicked on this thread I think you owe yourself to go ahead and order "Low To The Ground" atleast. I believe there is very little chance of you coming away disappointed.
Go ahead...take a chance!
NP: Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.