JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am looking for a decent, reasonably priced film scanner for regular use, plus to scan medium and large format film, mostly transparencies. I am amazed with the quality that relatively cheap scanners are capable of these days and thought it might finally be time to get one for film. I am talking about flatbed models which can double for regular use.

A friend had previously recommended some Canon models, because he liked the film holders, but Canon doesn't seem to be doing much but really cheap (under$200) models, plus Microtek seems to have significantly improved their film holders. The Microtek i800 could do the job, but I also wanted to find out if anyone has used their Pro software, to see if it is worth the premium. It sounds like it might be. The i900 would be great, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

I am looking to use this for reproduction, so I need a certain level of quality and need decent dynamic range.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
What's your budget, John?

I have a Polaroid Sprintscan 120 that I paid well above $5000 for when it was new, and it is a spectacular unit. It was never actually manufactured by Polaroid, and when Polaroid went out of business Microtek continued to make it (as the Artix 120 or something like that) and it can be had for around $1500 these days, brand new.

It's not fast, but it is a pro-level scanner for a bargain price. From 6x7 it generates a file around 600MB. Good carriers. There was a glass carrier available for it as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My budget is definitely not that, plus I need to scan 4x5. I have used a Nikon unit in that range, and it does a great job, though it is one quirky unit. I am definitely looking in the $300-400 range. Not high end, but good enough to get by. The Mikrotek i800 and Epson 4990 seem to be my best choices, though both have shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks