What's new

Any recommendations for a digital camera under $300? (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, chalk up another one for HTF. Once again, you guys deserve my thanks. I know nothing about digital cameras, other than the fact that I want to get my 10 year old one for Christmas as she loves taking pictures. My wife said to just buy the cheapest one out there, but, after we talked, she realized it would be better to get something decent as She'll/we'll end up wanting a better one anyway. I popped over to BB last night and ended up almost convinced that I should get her the Kodak DX 4330, but, after reading this thread, I did some research (til 3:30 in the morning) at various sites and, have to agree, the Canon A40 is a much better way to go. Thanks.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Might be a bit pricey for the 2 MP range.

I had to condense my research into a 3-hour time frame just before Xmas (heavy spouse pressure to get a camera for our son). Long story short, we bought a Nikon 3500 coolpix for $329 @Costco including a $20 instant rebate. Lists for $379 @J&R. So far, so good.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
My above post was a thumbs up to the Canon A40. I returned it after it began having some focus slowness and went with the Fuji 3800. This is one fine piece of equipment and takes much, much better pics that the A40. 3.2 meg, 6x zoom and the looks are killer. Highly recommended. Fine more info on digital cameras at dpreview.com

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
for under $300, I chose the Canon S200. There really seems to be no other choice to me. The most important feature for me is size. I want to take it everywhere and the S200 is small enough to slip in your shorts pocket in the summer... Plus, it takes great pics.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Take a look at the new Fuji F40 here and click on the video.

It seems like a great little camera, what do yall think?
Henry looks like a nice small package but I wouldn't buy a digital camera without optical zoom. I have a FujiFinepix 2600zoom , takes really nice pics but the low light photography is terrible.The people that I know that have Fuji all complain about low light pictures.We've had the camera for a year and now looking to upgrade.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
For $300 this Christmas, I ended up with the Olympus D-550 Zoom. It has 3 MP and 2.8x optical zoom. It was a hot camera this year at all the retail stores I checked into (BB, CC, Office Max). I purchased this camera with an Epson Stylus Photo 825 photo printer. I could not be happier with this combo as the camera takes great pictures in all settings and the printer prints lab quality type photos. There was a $75 rebate if you purchased any Olympus digital camera in combination with the Epson printer. Plus CC threw in a $50 gift card and Olympus threw in a 64MB SmartMedia card. CC screwed up the layaway I had on the camera and I received an additional $100 discount on the camera after complaining to CC corporate. There were some really good deals out there this holiday season.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Stephen,
I thought that F40 had great adjustments for low light?

Edit:
Yeah, its got a 3.6 Optical zoom,and
ISO setting of ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600.

Are those settings ok?

Stephen L

Second Unit
Henry ,
The Fuji F402 has only 3.6 digital zoom, doesn't list an optical zoom on their site. For a small package like the Fuji take a look at the Minolta Dimage X , small neat size with a 3x optical.It seems though with small size you give up certain things, either no optical zoom or picture quality.
Minolta Dimage X

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The Canon S200 has a 2x optical zoom and is 2MP. Takes great pictures and is made of steel. Add to that the small form factor and the fact that its a Canon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks